• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

World Cocktail Day 2007

eje

Every year the folks at the Museum of the American Cocktail organize a cocktail themed event on the day The Balance and Columbian Repository published a definition of the cocktail.

Cock tail, then is a stimulating liquor, composed of spirits of any kind, sugar, water and bitters it is vulgarly called a bittered sling, and is supposed to be an excellent electioneering potion inasmuch as it renders the heart stout and bold, at the same time that it fuddles the head. It is said also, to be of great use to a democratic candidate: because, a person having swallowed a glass of it, is ready to swallow any thing else.

Various official events are listed on their website:

World Cocktail Day

Many other bars and cities may be holding less official celebrations.

How do you plan to celebrate World Cocktail Day?

Just one moderator note, please keep posts within the guidelines of the eGullet Society Events Policy.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

San Francisco Cocktail Week

From May 14th to May 21st several bars in San Francisco will participate in the inaugural San Francisco Cocktail Week. Each bar will appoint a "Cocktail Champion" who will come up with 2 cocktails to be featured for the week. One classic and one original.

Participating bars currently include: Absinthe, Elixir, Cantina, Bourbon & Branch, Rye, Alembic, Range, Eastside West, Citizen Cake, NOPA, Slanted Door, Tres Agaves, Le Colonial, and the Presidio Social Club.

On Monday, May 21st, the week will culminate with an event at Absinthe Brasserie and Bar. Cocktailian bartender and author Gary Regan will helm the bar for an evening of cocktails and light appetizers. Tickets are available for $45 per person. A portion of the proceeds from the Absinthe event will benefit Tales of the Cocktail.

For tickets to the May 21st event at Absinthe Brasserie & Bar, please contact Vanessa Harris: vharris(at)absinthe.com or (415) 551-1453.

---

Erik Ellestad

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

I doubt any bars will participate here in the cocktailian backwater of Austin, Texas but this is as good a reason as any to throw a cocktail party. Nicely spaced from Repeal of Prohibition Day (December 5).

• 2 weeks later...

Any exciting tales of World Cocktail Day adventures?

Or are you still sleeping off your hangovers?

I got so caught up in making bizarre, julep-like concoctions that I completely forget to even have a real "Cock-tail"!

I coulda at least put some bitters in my julep, if I'd been thinking!

---

Erik Ellestad

Bernal Heights, SF, CA