• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

When ordering a bottle of wine in a restaurant....

HungryDog

Is it kosher to take the bottle home with you if you don't finish it?

Is there a certain level where it's not ok? For example you can take the bottle home only if it's more than half full?

Also, is it frowned upon if you bring your own bottle of wine, and if so what would be a reasonable corking fee?

I find that I love to have wine with my meals, and it's getting harder to not do take out, and then open my own bottle of wine at home due to the cost....

Thanks!

Edited by HungryDog (log)

Sure! But in many states, that open bottle needs to be securely placed in the trunk. No open bottles in the vehicle...

Is there a certain level where it's not ok?  For example you can take the bottle home only if it's more than half full? 

Who cares? If you have paid a lot for an expensive bottle, why shouldn't you be allowed to drink every little drop? On the other hand, sometimes offering a glass to the waitstaff is a great gesture and one that I do often - especially if it is a fabulous bottle.

Also, is it frowned upon if you bring your own bottle of wine, and if so what would be a reasonable corking fee?

If you search around, you will find a number of discussions on corkage fees and what is considered reasonable. Some restaurants will waive the corkage if you agree to buy a bottle off their list. I have been able to have corkage waived when I've offered a glass to the sommelier, manager, or chef. In general, I have seen corkage fees range from $10 to $50.

I find that I love to have wine with my meals, and it's getting harder to not do take out, and then open my own bottle of wine at home due to the cost....

Thanks!

No worries! It is all a learning experience. Also, it is generally considered bad form to bring a bottle that already exists on a restaurant's list. I know, it is not always possible to know what is on a list, but buying a $10 bottle from your local grocery store would be a good example of something that should probably not be brought into a fine dining establishment.

as Carolyn points out, this is a state law issue. It will vary from state to state. Some simply don't allow it at all. Others may allow it, but with "restrictions". (like it needing to be in the trunk or cargo area)

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

in nyc at some of the higher end restaurants, they have special bags for taking home opened bottles of wine. in order to comply with 'open bottle' laws, the bag has to be able to be sealed and will show some sign if opened after leaving the premises.

so, the fact that they have these bags and developed this policy would indicate that it is not socially unacceptable to bring home the bottle that you couldn't finish at the restaurant.

Thanks!

It is generally frowned upon if the same bottle is on the restaurant's wine list though certain restaurants may still allow it depending on their corkage policy. Corkage policies do vary widely.

When I'm dining out I tend to look for interesting wines and good values and leave the expensive wines for home or special corkage occasions.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I believe in NY not only do you need a sealed bag, but it has to have a receipt attached. I've found this new regulation to be beneficial to the wine drinker. There are times that I'm dining alone, or there's just the two of us and we don't want to have or finish an entire bottle and the house wines may be of inferior quality or not a good value. We were also faced recently with the situation where a glass of decent wine, also sold by the bottle, was disproportionately priced. So we bought the bottle for a little more than the price of two single glasses and brought the rest home. Further, of course, it gives you the opportunity to try more interesting and possibly good value wines than those offered by the glass in many restaurants these days.

Mark A. Bauman

I believe in NY not only do you need a sealed bag, but it has to have a receipt attached. I've found this new regulation to be beneficial to the wine drinker. There are times that I'm dining alone, or there's just the two of us and we don't want to have or finish an entire bottle and the house wines may be of inferior quality or not a good value. We were also faced recently with the situation where a glass of decent wine, also sold by the bottle, was disproportionately priced. So we bought the bottle for a little more than the price of two single glasses and brought the rest home. Further, of course, it gives you the opportunity to try more interesting and possibly good value wines than those offered by the glass in many restaurants these days.

Thanks for all your responses...i'll definitely be ordering more bottles of wine!