• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The passion of the Fruit

riboflavinjoe

Hi, my woman just came in from the fruiterie with these items. The lady behind the counter called that round item a passionfruit. has anyone seen a passionfruit like this one before?

Thanks!

riboflavin (spicy) joe

gallery_6567_4525_48853.jpg

"Bells will ring, ting-a-ling-a-ling, ting.... the bell... bing... 'moray" -John Daker

It looks very young. From my experience, we eat the wrinkled fruit, which is basically what you have, let to grow a bit more, then left on a windowsill or something similar to shrivel up a bit.

Having said that, when we moved into our current house, we found one of the bushes is a passionfruit bush. We're not sure if they're edible, but the fruit looked very similar to what you have, very smooth and bright coloured as I remember it.

It is a passionfruit though.