• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

They're all gone...

I don't know how bountiful the crop is, but in Philadelphia, the Farmers' Markets have wonderful peaches, plums, cherries, and all sorts of berries. Northstar, my favorite vendor (Pa) sells them for the same price as last year.

This sort of local crop wipe-out is just another argument for local farm production and crop diversity.

"Half of cooking is thinking about cooking." ---Michael Roberts

There are fewer roadside stands then last year, but still plenty of south Georgia peaches to be found in the Cairo, Thomasville area. The peaches don't seem any worse for wear.

I found pretty decent SC peaches at the Midtown Atlanta Whole Foods today. They need a day or two to ripen on the window sill but are pretty good overall. The roadside stands seem pretty depleted though.

Anecdotal report from New Jersey:

Georgia peaches have been in the local markets here for about a month now. (I have no idea what part of Georgia they've been from.) They started out very tiny & have grown to a decent size.

Whole Foods seems to have a lock on a portion of the crop. Seems funny that some of you Georgia folk are buying Carolina peaches while I'm getting Georgia.

Anyway our Jersey peaches hit the stands this week so that's it for me.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845