• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dakshin - Great Indian Find in HK

Suvir Saran

Dakshin

741 9th Avenue (50th Street)

NYC

212-757-4545

I ate a great buffet at Dakshin. Not one for buffet, but it is the most conveninet thing to do at times. I am weary of Indian buffets, have had many bad experiences, but at Dakshin, the food was fresh, tasty and seemed endless.

Does anyone else know Dakshin?

Eric Asimov had reviewed it in the NY Times last year.

The name Dakshin means "Southern", and the restaurant does serve several Southern Indian dishes, but more importantly serves in a no fuss setting great food and with humble service.

Will write more later about todays lunch. Would love to hear what others have to say about their experiences there.

Alert With Spices, as Indian Food Should Be

By Eric Asimov

$25 AND UNDER

NY Times

January 24, 2001, Wednesday

PERHAPS no other cuisine pays as much attention to spices and seasonings as Indian, and yet so much Indian food in Manhattan is bland, as if it lacked any seasoning. So it was a great pleasure to find lively spicing that was deliciously apparent in more than a few dishes at Dakshin on the Upper East Side, a new sibling of the original Dakshin, at Ninth Avenue and 50th Street.

Link to above article from the NY Times

I've had the buffet at Dakshin. I agree that it is above average. Two items stood out. The naan that arrived hot at my table, and the mango chutney, which had not been allowed to ferment as much as that dish usually ferments. The result was a golden color rather than brown. The taste was superior - I must have refilled my small condiment bowl 4 or 5 times with it. Saag paneer was also good, but the spinach was pureed a bit too fine for my taste, sort of like the consistency of spinach baby food, which, come to think of it, was my favorite of all the jarred baby foods.

Saag paneer was also good, but the spinach was pureed a bit too fine for my taste, sort of like the consistency of spinach baby food, which, come to think of it, was my favorite of all the jarred baby foods.

I was most amazed at their assortment of salads. Indian (very few) and the many other salads. I was impressed seeing all the "banker types" eating at the restaurant and was tickled to see how they broke the ice of eating a foreign cuisine by first eating what was familiar... and then going onto eating the Indian dishes.

The server at our table confirmed that the salads were a huge success. I was impressed to see some locals eating at the restaurant. Most such buffets are always frequented by people who are working in the hood. There were tables at Dakshin yesterday afternoon that were filled with neighborhood folk just enjoying the company of friends and good food.

The server told me that Saag is the only item that they must prepare daily. He said many of the customers are regulars. And they have found Saag addictive. Maybe for that very reason that you and I perhaps find the smooth sauce not so interesting. Though I enjoy saag in all its many forms. My family enjoyed a smoother saag and as an adult I have begun enjoying it in its more rustic form where it is chopped coarsely and is not smooth.

I must admit, a saag paneer that is not smooth is never fine enough for me. But saag by itself, is most tasty when coarse. Go figure! :blink:

Two items stood out. The naan that arrived hot at my table, and the mango chutney, which had not been allowed to ferment as much as that dish usually ferments. The result was a golden color rather than brown. The taste was superior - I must have refilled my small condiment bowl 4 or 5 times with it.

Wow! I have always had the same problem, I find the mango chutney is most Indian restaurants most offensive. It is either too sweet for my taste or fermented. Never tasty. I will have to taste it at Dakshin. I am afraid now to even try mango chutney anywhere. Thanks for the pointer.

And what a pity, most Buffet services (Indian that is) serve the Naan at the buffet. Few do what Dakshin does, to bring it to the table. It was a great little gesture that did impress me. I have seen that done in smaller restaurants in NJ... but had not realized how I miss it till you mentioned it. Nothing like fresh hot naan.

I wonder if they've changed hands.

Dakshin is next to Worldwide Plaza, which house my old law firm, a large advertising firm and a bunch of other companies. When I started there in the mid-90s, I went to Dakshin a number of times and was always very disappointed. I think that was the general opinion among my co-workers. I stopped going years ago.

I think the buffet downstairs at Shaan, at 48th between 5th and 6th is much better. In fact, I think I'll eat there tomorrow.