• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Life length of tin lined copper

cnspriggs

I'm considering buying tin lined copper saute pan instead of stainless steel as I understand things don't get stuck to the tin lined pans as badly as stainless. I was wondering how often those of you that own them find they need to be re-tinned?

Cheers!

I highly recommend you do not get tin-lined copper for a saute pan. The melting point of tin is only 232C/450F. It's very easy to get a saute pan up above that temperature, and I would argue that higher temperatures are most useful for sauteing.

--

And there are no issues with food sticking to stainless steel, at least with most kinds of cooking. With correct technique, the only thing that will stick is the pan juices as they brown, which is what you want.

For really sticky food, like fish fillets with the skin still on, or eggs, you'll have sticking issues with both surfaces.

Any difference between tin and and SS will be minor in this regard.

Tin will definitely limit what you can do in the pan. at least when it comes to high heat techniques like roasting and sautéing.

I like the idea of a replaceable lining, but it seems the cost and hassle of gettting this done outweighs the benefits. My stainless steel interiors will probably outlive me.

Notes from the underbelly

I'm considering buying tin lined copper saute pan instead of stainless steel as I understand things don't get stuck to the tin lined pans as badly as stainless. I was wondering how often those of you that own them find they need to be re-tinned?

Cheers!

depending on wear, of course, about 5 - 10 years. i found a set of never-used copper pots dating from the early 20th century in a neighborhood antiques-store in paris. 5 pots (not saute pans, mind) for 100 euros. nice weight, perfect sizes - i was all over that deal! i enjoy caring for them; am not obsessive about "shiny." as for the lining, when you see a bit of copper showing thru, it's time to re-tin -- which is a project, indeed. here in montreal i found a place called the clinique de la casserole, which farmed out my pots (appears you can't re-tin within the city limits !?). they came back nickel-lined and gorgeous. it was an event! everybody in the shop ooh-ed and ahh-ed. it was a costly treat, however.

years ago, my french motherinlaw offered me a hand-forged tin-lined copper beurre blanc pot with lid, made in the vendee region, where beurre blanc is a religion. the pot is a thing of beauty. i have had it for 20 years, no need for re-tinning yet.

We have absolutely no problems with food sticking to the SS lining of our Falk copper. Non-stick coatings were used to sell aluminum pots and pans because without non-stick or some sort of anodising, Al is terrible. A whole generation of cooks has grown up believing the hype put out by aluminum cookware manufacturers. We have NO aluminum cookware period! -Dick