• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The punt and its history in glass

Don Giovanni

Andiesenji,

Having an open mind I found this information very helpful and this puts to rest the punt and it's history. This is why I love to post....learning more each day and feeling smaller as I learn...very humbling and enlightening ...

Thanks for your time and thanks for the links.

Cheers !

By the way, I was a glass artist for 30+ years and have been in many glass studios all over the U.S.

You should visit the Corning museum to get the real story of glass. Their collections and the information information is the best in the world.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Time for a little punt related trivia!!!

What is the only Champagne that DOES NOT have a punt?

::: Final Jeopardy song plays :::

-Chef Johnny

What is Cristal?

Edit to respell a word.

::: APPLAUSE :::

Good job!

Cheers,

-Chef Johnny

John Maher
Executive Chef/Owner
The Rogue Gentlemen

Richmond, VA

Andiesenji,

Having an open mind I found this information very helpful and this puts to rest the punt and it's history. This is why I love to post....learning more each day and feeling smaller as I learn...very humbling and enlightening ...

Thanks for your time and thanks for the links.

Cheers !

Say what!!!?

I posted this information quite a while ago. :shock:

Found the info on the web of course!

Not on Wikipedia.

I am not sure it puts the punt thing to "rest." :wacko:

There is a lot of often conflicting information out there and

I have found nothing definitive.

As for increasing the strength of the bottle, I believe the depth of the punt may

allow for a thicker bottle while maintaining a uniform shape. One only has to compare a puntless bottle--coulee de serrant for eg with a heavily punted bottle--weight and size differences can be striking yet each bottle contains the same measure of wine (liquid).

I would say that your theory (as I have maintained throughout this thread) doesn't hold water (or wine)!

:wink:

Edited by JohnL (log)

As to how it was discovered....could it be this easy?

Click On Me

Most things that we have invented seem to be through accident. So imagine sitting thousands of years back in the copper age and looking up and seeing a flaming meteorite falling down you go over to the sand and see this hot rock or glass rock turning the very sand it hit into glass....eureka.... glass.... with some imagination..and the fire to make copper you have glass..

The Copper Age dates 4300 - 3200 BC

The Old Copper Complex, located in present day Michigan and Wisconsin, is the oldest known site in the new world, and one of the oldest sites in the world, where copper was utilized for tools and other implements. Artefacts from these sites have been dated from 6000 to 3000 BC.

Just a thought.... :biggrin:

During the Mesolithic era (Middle Stone age), the first humans who crossed the land bridge into this hemisphere hunted the giant animals of what is now North America, using hunting weapons made of volcanic glass (obsidian). A point has been found in a site near Spokane that dates to 8000 years. Older points have been found in Ethiopia and various sites in Europe.

Obsidian can be dated easier than other artifacts.

Obsidian was a popular trading commodity, which has been proved because points have been found huge distances from the source and knapped or chipped in the local manner rather than the way they would have been made near the source.

Stone age tools

Surgeons today use obsidian scalpels for extremely delicate work.

You might find this interesting.

Modern surgery with ancient blade

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett