• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Nags Head NC or Near By

slarochelle

We're heading to a B&B in Nags Head in a few weeks for a 1 year wedding anniversary weekend. Does anyone have any dinner recommendations in the $75-150 range (for two, wine, tip incl)? I'm hoping for French, Italian, American; just about anything, as long as they offer vegetarian entrées other then "Vegetable Platter" (eggs and dairy ok). That's the wife's requirement; me, I'll take whatever is freshest, which I'd assume to be some sort of seafood. If that's not the case, please steer me in the right direction. Anything with an hours' drive would be great.

While I'm in that area of NC, any regional dish I should try to experience? Lunch or dinner, fancy or not.

Thanks,

Steve

Have not been there in a few years, but The Blue Point Bar & Grill in Duck, NC was quite good. Great fresh seafood and high quality veggies. Their dinner menus include seasonal vegetarian selections for both appetizers and entrees.

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

When I used to go to Nags Head, we never spent more than $10 on a meal. However, I remember a great little lunch joint, on the beach road up near Duck. I'm pretty sure it was John's or John's Fish Shack. Terrific fish sandwiches (fried and grilled).

Happy Anniversary.

Gosh, I just realized that it's been about 5 years since I last went to the Outer Banks, and I live in North Carolina. I agree with Mark's suggestion of the Blue Point. It's a fairly casual place, but the chef has always had fun. Duck is about a 15 minute drive north of Nags Head. For a more formal dinner, you might want to try the restaurant in the Sanderling Inn. I think they actually have a dress code. I've heard that the restaurant isn't that bad.

You won't find any exceptional dining on the Outer Banks, primarily because business is so seasonal. You shoud find places that are pretty good, however.

I'll check with some of my partners who have houses on the Outer Banks and see if they have other suggestions.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

One of my all time favorite restaurants on the Outer Banks, and one that could compete in Manhattan, is Carolina Blue 5589 N. Croatan Highway (252) 255-1543

The chef is Chip and his wife Tina runs the front of the house.

The food is sublime and I still remember a vegatable terrine that he served me back in 1999.

They also have a thoughtful and well chosen wine list.

This is one of my top destination restaurants when I travel.

Reservations are advised.