• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Grand Sichuan International

Pan

Yea... the bones can be a real hassle with that dish.  If it weren't for the fact that it's like half bone, I'd order it more often.  As it is, I have it around 40% of the time.

The unpredictability of the bones is what kills the dish. You have a bite of the rabbit meat, peanuts and scallions, and it's great. The next bite you think you're crunching into a peanut but when you bite down harder, you almost crack a tooth.

I am not sure if it ruins the dish, i think that the bones definately add to the overall flavoring.. I actually was impressed how they leave the bones on in dishes like the spring water chicken, and the second sisters rabbit. It is really keeping with the restaurants authenticity. I often go to china on business and there everything is on the bone .The chinese have a way of deboning everything in there mouths and quickly disposing of the refuse and if you master this or the more you get use to eating like this, the bones are no big deal..

One thing that i do have trouble with in China is deshelling a shrimp in my mouth,, The have this way of rolling the shrimp in their mouths and spitting out an intact shrimp shell. I was very thankfull for them taking the shells off my shrimp dish.

The unpredictability of the bones is what kills the dish. You have a bite of the rabbit meat, peanuts and scallions, and it's great. The next bite you think you're crunching into a peanut but when you bite down harder, you almost crack a tooth.

I am not sure if it ruins the dish, i think that the bones definately add to the overall flavoring.. I actually was impressed how they leave the bones on in dishes like the spring water chicken, and the second sisters rabbit. It is really keeping with the restaurants authenticity. I often go to china on business and there everything is on the bone .The chinese have a way of deboning everything in there mouths and quickly disposing of the refuse and if you master this or the more you get use to eating like this, the bones are no big deal..

One thing that i do have trouble with in China is deshelling a shrimp in my mouth,, The have this way of rolling the shrimp in their mouths and spitting out an intact shrimp shell. I was very thankfull for them taking the shells off my shrimp dish.

It's interesting to hear you say that most meat in China is served on the bone, Daniel. I was hoping it was a mark of authenticity. I understand their potential contribution to the meat's flavor. To me boning the meat in my mouth is a hassle -- but maybe if I hone my skills I won't mind it so much.

Still, if the bones were bigger or whole, they'd be manageable. Are the bones in spring water chicken and second sisters rabbit bigger or at least more predictably distributed?

JJ Goode

Co-author of Serious Barbecue, which is in stores now!

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

Well the bones in the spring water chicken would be similar to the bones in a traditional scarparella. Not overwhelming, plus it is a shape americans are use to so we know where to expect the bones to be.. But in the second sisters rabbit its certainly more difficult. Those little varmits are so boney. The only thing more filled with bones that i have had was turtle. But thats why i am a big fan of getting take out from there. I just feel more comfortable getting messy in the comforts of my living room.. Where i get to look like a fool infront of my girl friend instead of an entire restaurant.

But thats why i am a big fan of getting take out from there. I just feel more comfortable getting messy in the comforts of my living room.. Where i get to look like a fool infront of my girl friend instead of an entire restaurant.

I order it at work :blink: .

I get quite a few stares. :smile:

JJ Goode

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

But thats why i am a big fan of getting take out from there. I just feel more comfortable getting messy in  the comforts of my living room.. Where i get to look like a fool infront of my girl friend instead of an entire restaurant.

I order it at work :blink: .

I get quite a few stares. :smile:

I think its time to introduce the office to the spicy aromatic crab. The only problem is you wouldnt be able to drink a beer with it.

Tell you what.

I'm Chinese, and I can't do the deshelled shrimp maneuver. Actually, I've never heard of it or seen it done before.

Bones, however, are somewhat easy to work through within the mouth.

Even fish bones.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

You just have to learn how to distinguish between various things and identify bones in your mouth.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Tell you what.

I'm Chinese, and I can't do the deshelled shrimp maneuver. Actually, I've never heard of it or seen it done before.

Even fish bones.

The way its done is by using the front of the mouth.. They place the shrimp between their teeth and lip.. Now from there you want to take the shrimp sideways and have it sweep downwards. I am sure there is a lot of suction going on here also. But it is a pretty remarkable trick.

Tell you what.

Even fish bones.

The way its done is by using the front of the mouth.. They place the shrimp between their teeth and lip.. Now from there you want to take the shrimp sideways and have it sweep downwards. I am sure there is a lot of suction going on here also. But it is a pretty remarkable trick.

I'm just suprised that I've never heard of it, more than anything else.

I don't particularly like shrimp, so it's never mattered much to me.

It would be a cool trick though.

My dad, however can eat snails without toothpicks, just by using the suction

from his mouth.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

After all the commotion here, I had no choice but to go to GSIM on our most recent visit to NYC, Monday. I had the Kung Pao Chicken from the Fresh Chicken menue and Deb had General Tso' Chicken. Deb also had Wanton soup,

I enjoyed my meal , but had a slight problem with the Sichuan Peppercorns. To me, they were like little pieces of walnut shell that when bitten down on, released a pleasent heat and intense flavor, but were unpleasent in that they had a texture that implied that they were there by mistake. I enjoyed the meal greatly, but if I were to try to reproduce it at home I would try to infuse the heat and flavor of the peppercorns in oil and then shitcan them! I would do this knowing that the overall effect would be to reduce the hot and cool spots in ths wonderful dish.

Deb's Wanton soup was, I thought, good, but not great. I am not a fan of General Tso's Chicken, but I could tell that Deb liked her version.

We are greatful to this forum for allowing us to approach Manhattan with a plan that we would not have had otherwise and discuss the outcome with like minded folk!

HC

Edited by HungryChris (log)

I had General Tso's Chicken once at the Chelsea branch, and it was just as mediocre and forgettable as at any ordinary takeout place. Wonton Soup is another thing I wouldn't order at Grand Sichuan (though I'm sure it's OK), but the Sichuan Shrimp Dumplings are terrific!

As for Sichuan Pepper, are you sure you couldn't get used to its texture, since you liked its taste?

Michael aka "Pan"

Just had dinner this evening with a friend at the GS on 9th Ave. @ 50th St. (this friend pointed out that the red letters above the facade say "L & M Grand Sichuan", which I had never noticed before...odd) and, thanks to this thread, tried some things I hadn't tried before.

Daniel, thank you for bringing up the sliced fish and sour cabbage soup....ordered it for the first time tonight and it was delicious. Lovely flavor. Also ordered my standard sliced pork with fresh garlic sauce cold appetizer (it's gotten to the point here if I don't order it right away, they ask if I want it!) and the Sichuan wontons in red oil--these are really outstanding.

This was followed by too many main dishes for two normal people (but when one of them is me....well, let's just say we managed to finish them with no problem): first, the spicy and sour squid (from the "Mao's home cooking" section of the menu....and who was recommending this earlier in this thread? Pan, maybe? I just can't look through all those posts again). I hadn't had this dish in AGES and had forgotten how good it is. It was spicy! It was sour! It was delicious! Also got the dry sauteed string beans with minced pork--a frequently-ordered dish for me, and it was the usual excellent. The third main dish another first-time try for me: the Chong Qing style fresh chicken. It is a rather silly looking dish with ALL those dried red chili peppers (and it does seem a bit like a half cup of chicken buried in three cups of red peppers), but it was tasty. The waitress delivered it to the table, intoning "Hot...spicy!" but in the end, it's actually not as spicy as several other dishes on the menu I can think of.

Another outstanding meal here, and I'm looking forward to going back on Friday with slkinsey and bergerka!

Edited for spelling

Edited by Eric_Malson (log)

My restaurant blog: Mahlzeit!

It struck me that there are no pictures for the vicarious GSIM fans. So, naturally, taking one for the team I steeled my nerves and ate there tonight with Eric Malson, bergerka and a friend:

First were the dan dan noodles. This is beore they are all mixed together, after which they are kind of brownish.

i3465.jpg

Then we had the Preserved Trunip (sic) Sichuan Style. Spicy, crunchy and pleasantly rubbery.

i3466.jpg

One of our favorites, Beef Tendon with Hot and Pepper Sauce. Everyone should try this dish.

i3467.jpg

Stir fried pea shoots. Fat Guy turned me on to these, and they're awesome!

i3468.jpg

House Cured Pork with Stick Rice Cake. This was incredibly porky and a nicely mild contrast to the spicy dishes.

i3469.jpg

House Bean Curd with Spicy Sauce (Ma Po Tofu). Soft tofu isn't really my thing, but I have to admit this is good stuff!

i3470.jpg

Freshly Killed Kung Bao Chicken. The one. The only. Accept no substitutes.

i3471.jpg

Braised Beef Fillets with Chili Sauce. One of the hottest things on the menu. That light brown lump in the middle of the bowl is a big knob of minced garlic. Tasty!

i3472.jpg

We finished almost everything

i3473.jpg

--

Very nice pics, Sam! The beef fillets in chili sauce looks like it works better at the restaurant than delivered, when it is bathing in that red oil. Wish I could've come. Next time...

JJ Goode

www.jjgoode.com

Dude, you totally have to come next time. Your presence alone means we could have ordered like three more things!

Actually, judging from past accounts of his eating prowess,

I think his presence means you could have doubled your number of dishes ordered.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Dude, you totally have to come next time.  Your presence alone means we could have ordered like three more things!

Actually, judging from past accounts of his eating prowess,

I think his presence means you could have doubled your number of dishes ordered.

I doubt I'd live up to my rep at GSI. At Sichuan, pizza and fancy places, I can never make an impressive showing -- unless you promise we can stay all night. :cool:

I really need to try that tofu and that rice cake dish. Do you try to order a couple of "greatest hits" everytime you go? It's so great to finally have pictures on this thread...

JJ Goode

www.jjgoode.com

We pretty much always have the beef tendon, and it's rare that we don't order the kung bao chicken. Another great appetizer is the cured pork with garlic shoots, and I am very fond of the Sichuan pickled cabbage with red oil. We get those a lot. We also get the spicy double cooked pork fairly often, and the sour string beans. These are all "GSIM classics" as far as I am concerned. There are other good dishes there, the crispy quail, the tea smoked duck... things like that. They're good, but not in the same category, IMO.

The real secret to GSIM, I think, is to make sure you go in a group -- four at a minimum, and six or eight is probably better. That way you can have several of the greatest hits dishes and branch out to several others.

--

We pretty much always have the beef tendon, and it's rare that we don't order the kung bao chicken. Another great appetizer is the cured pork with garlic shoots, and I am very fond of the Sichuan pickled cabbage with red oil. We get those a lot. We also get the spicy double cooked pork fairly often, and the sour string beans. These are all "GSIM classics" as far as I am concerned. There are other good dishes there, the crispy quail, the tea smoked duck... things like that. They're good, but not in the same category, IMO.

The real secret to GSIM, I think, is to make sure you go in a group -- four at a minimum, and six or eight is probably better. That way you can have several of the greatest hits dishes and branch out to several others.

I've stumbled into both of those pork dishes during my delivery at work odysseys. Great dishes, though they could both use those rice cakes because that bacon-pork (it's pork belly, right?) is rich.

Going with six people would be great -- unfortunately I've done the exact opposite, ordering one or two dishes by myself for lunch and eating the leftovers for dinner. The sour strings and the kung bao are the only dishes I've ordered more than once. Never had the cabbage with red oil, only without.

You're down for a trip soon, Soba?

JJ Goode

www.jjgoode.com