• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Grand Sichuan International

Pan

I spoke to 2 people at other branches (St. Mark's and 24th St.) - about re-opening of the 50th st Grand Sichuan. They both said - NOT RE-OPENING!!!! Horrors..

Both indicated it had something to do with not being able to renegotiate a lease - who knows.

What will I do????

I spoke to 2 people at other branches (St. Mark's and 24th St.) - about re-opening of the 50th st Grand Sichuan.  They both said - NOT RE-OPENING!!!!  Horrors..

Both indicated it had something to do with not being able to renegotiate a lease - who knows.

What will I do????

Well that is sad sad news. Which is the second best GS?

The St. Marks location is also very good, but the menu at the 24th St. location is much more similar to that of the ~50th St. location.

Michael aka "Pan"

• 4 weeks later...

Mee Noodle Shop on 53rd and 9th is solid. Seafood Curry noodle soup (with spinach noodles) is a fav. Also like the beef and tofu over brown rice, mixed seafood sizzling noodle platter w/Peking sc and steamed chinese sausage. (I do delivery only. The room is depressing and brighter than a 7Elleven)

That wasn't chicken

they deliver. I used to get it all the time, both when I worked by Grand Central and up on 51st and Madison.

and I'd be surpised if they didn't deliver three avenue blocks west (I know they go that far east).

Mee is Cantonese. the Cantonese menu at GSI sucks...so I assume it's the Sichuan stuff that FatAl is craving....in which case the Wu is the only option.

Any other Sichuan recommendations for the visitor that was looking forward to trying this GS? Are any of the other branches (Pan mentions St. Marks) or the recent recommendations in the last few posts worth the time on a 3 day visit? If there's nothing else top-notch, please let me know-in that case I'll probably skip it.

Any possibility of the visitor going to Spicy & Tasty in Flushing? That blew away the ~50th St. Grand Sichuan. I don't know what the visitor would consider "top-notch," but to me, the Chelsea and St. Marks branches are reliably very good (if only the right menus are ordered, of course - and none of the "Mini Menu" at the St. Marks location) but Spicy & Tasty is truly great!

Michael aka "Pan"

• 1 year later...

Needed a quick and affordable dinner in the EV last weekend, so a friend and I decided that GSI was an obvious choice. Was at Redhead the night before, didn't feel like falafel or ramen, no to burgers or American food; it was was as if the answer was made for us.

Since we were only two we couldn't order a ton of food, but managed to put away the cumin beef, fish in chili pepper broth (don't know what it's actually called), the green beans with pork, and the pickled cabbage. No complaints, this is very solid Sichuan food, and perfect for a cold night. The fish dish was particularly sinus-clearing, and I liked the contrast in the beef dish with the sweet bun, assertive spice, and bite of the onion and cilantro. I think I prefer Szechuan Gourmet, but given the location, GSI is a completely viable option. Spent less than $30/person and had food to take home even after gorging ourselves.

Szechuan Gourmet is definitely better, but I'm still very glad to have a Grand Sichuan as my standby takeout/delivery place.

I'm guessing the fish dish was Fish with Sour Cabbage in a Little Hot Wok. Did they put sterno on your table and keep the fish on fire until you (perhaps) asked them to put the fire out? I don't like the sterno and don't need the fire, but I like that dish quite a lot.

Michael aka "Pan"

Oh yeah, I've had that. That's a very good dish. I have a takeout menu right here. What you got was #82, "Sliced fish w. Spicy Sauce Soup." The other dish I mentioned is #100, "Fish & Sour Cabbage in a Little Hot Wok."

Michael aka "Pan"