• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

RobertM

RobertM

Well, I’m reminded of a comment that Chocolot has said several times, and I paraphrase:  once you think you know what you’re doing, Chocolate will do something just to let you know who’s boss.

you should plan on tempering the colored cocoa butter (CCB) prior to using, anytime, any day, you plan on using.  Always start with the basics.

is there a way to be “sure that when you paint a mold....”?  That is the million dollar question for sure.  I don’t believe there exists a way that will guarantee you success every time with CCB, but, there are methodologies that will help you.

These are things, steps I do, and my success rate is fairly high 

temper your cocoa butter

use clean, polished molds

apply decoration

allow CCB to crystallize in mold prior to shelling

shell, fill and cap per usual 

unmold

but step 3 is critical, as there are many ways to apply CCB, i.e. paintbrush, cotton swab, finger, airbrush, toothbrush, etc, 

RobertM

RobertM

Well, I’m reminded of a comment that Chocolot has said several times, and I paraphrase:  once you think you know what you’re doing, Chocolate will do something just to let you know who’s boss.

you should plan on tempering the colored cocoa butter (CCB) prior to using, anytime, any day, you plan on using.  Always start with the basics.

is there a way to be “sure that when you paint a mold....”?  That is the million dollar question for sure.  I don’t believe there exists a way that will guarantee you success every time with CCB, but, there are methodologies that will help you.

These are things, steps I do, and my success rate is fairly high 

temper your cocoa butter

use clean, polished molds

apply decoration

allow CCB to crystallize in mood prior to shelling

shell, fill and cap per usual 

unmold

but step 3 is critical, as there are many ways to apply CCB, i.e. paintbrush, cotton swab, finger, airbrush, toothbrush, etc,