• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

THE BEST: NYC Egg Custard Tart

Chris Amirault

I had them in Dragon Land, Lung Moon, Tai Pan and a bunch of other bakeries I know the locatiion but not the name as well Jing Fong, Golden Unicorn, Silver Palace, Dim Sum Go Go, etc.  Custard King is the only one I've seen with assorted flavors.

Maybe it's a cultural thing since you were raised with them.  I don't think it's a qlty issue.  An Apple pie can have 10 or more ingredients.  Your standard egg yolk tat (no matter how lux the ingredients) is a simply composed dessert that, for me, has not varied. 

Like I said, I'm always open to be proven wrong.  I'll go down to C-town and try them in 10 places.....(as long as Larry Lee comes of course : )

So would it be strange if we went to all the dim sum haunts and just ordered the custard egg tarts to go?

Creme brulee or flan is not made with egg whites only. And yes, the egg white dan tat *IS* the diet verison of dan tat. It doesn't contain egg yolks, therefore it's less fattening and is a "healthier" alternative to the traditional dan tat that contains egg yolks.

What apple pie recipe contains about ten ingredients? More or less it's a pie crust, apples, sugar, lemon juice, spices, salt. And a dan tat is not a simply compossed dessert tart. I've made them before, and ask anyone who's made them at home, they're a tricky dessert that's best left to the pros.

Maybe if I compare it to pasta carbonara or a cheesesteak that might be a better reference point for you. All simple recipes that from various chefs or restaurants yield varying end products.

It's not a cultural thing - my ethnicity has nothing to do with the facts that I'm stating. I speak from a culinary standpoint.

This link might help you understand the complexity of what you think is a simple dessert. Link to dan tat cookoff in China and Chinese food forum

Edited by Gastro888 (log)

I went to the Egg Custard King location on Grand Street this weekend and had two dan tats hot staight from the oven. That was some good eats. I like how there's more space to sit down in front for those who just want to eat one tart and a office.

Hot dan tats rule but I've decided that I prefer mine after they've cooled off for about 15 minutes. It was delicious & it was tasty but I could still feel that "Ouch I burned my mouth" senstation on my walk from Chinatown to Chelsea.

Edited by Gastro888 (log)

I had them in Dragon Land, Lung Moon, Tai Pan and a bunch of other bakeries I know the locatiion but not the name as well Jing Fong, Golden Unicorn, Silver Palace, Dim Sum Go Go, etc.  Custard King is the only one I've seen with assorted flavors.

Maybe it's a cultural thing since you were raised with them.  I don't think it's a qlty issue.  An Apple pie can have 10 or more ingredients.  Your standard egg yolk tat (no matter how lux the ingredients) is a simply composed dessert that, for me, has not varied.  

Like I said, I'm always open to be proven wrong.  I'll go down to C-town and try them in 10 places.....(as long as Larry Lee comes of course : )

So would it be strange if we went to all the dim sum haunts and just ordered the custard egg tarts to go?

The dim sum joint usually serves the "mini me" tart. Go to the bakery for the standard size.

Leave the gun, take the canoli