• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Warming Drawers

dtilston

I'm beginning the long process of renovating my kitchen and I've already decided that I want to install dual ovens. I really like the idea of a warming drawer because I can think of many times when one component of the meal needs to remain warm while another finishes cooking. Or when the whole meal is ready but I can't manage to get everyone to sit down at the table right away! My questions is, are they worth it or worthless? If you have one, do you use it and how often? What brand is it and are you satisfied with the performance and value?

When we did our remodel everyone told us we should put it in but there was only so much room and frankly I didn't see a need for it. We eat as a family most of hte time. I still don't find a need since my oven can be used to warm and I don't need warm plates before I eat. I'll be interested to see how the people that use it respond.

How much does a warming drawer run?

The good ones run a lot - eg. the Wolf which, I have to admit, is fantastic and very versatile, is around $900.00. I have been coveting one for a long time but have a problem justifying the expense.

Ruth Friedman

If it could be used for rising bread I'd like one? :hmmm:

I don't know the size of your family, but I have a family of four with many relatives and friends visiting regularly. Consequently, I cook for 15-20 on a regular basis. When redesigning my kitchen, I considered the cost of the warming drawer - financial and space costs - and decided that I really didn't need one. I have not regretted the decision. I would encourage you to spend the money on something else - such as a steam oven. I opted for the steam oven, and I just love it. You can use it for things other than cooking - for example, you can process canning jars and sterilize baby bottles. I made 24 pints of green tomato chutney in my steam oven last weekend. It is so much easier than the traditional canning process - just set your jars in, set the timer and you're done.

I have double wall ovens and when necessary, I use one as a warming oven. Also, both of these ovens and the microwave/speed oven have "proofing" settings, so there again, no warming drawer is needed to let dough rise.

Hope this helps and have fun, I sure love appliance shopping! KBJ

First of all, when I saw the title to this thread my first thought was, "why don't they just put them in the dryer? That will get them nice and toasty on even the coldest winter morning."

But then I figured out what it was all about and, happily, I can comment on that as an expert (well, as expert as I ever get-which, admittedly, ain't so much) , as well.

When we were redoing the kitchen we really looked at the things. I couldn't justify it but I knew that, very occasionally, I needed to keep more stuff warm than what one oven will hold. Or, that sometimes you need to keep stuff warm and you've got other stuff in the oven. My solution, and as with most things I do I believe it to be brilliant and well conceived, was to just put in a second oven. It didn't cost much more than a warming oven (in fact, less than some) and it's a lot more practical. You can't bake in a warming oven but you can keep stuff warm in an oven. See what I mean? Brilliant.

I still like the idea of drawers in the dryer on a cold morning. But that's another story altogether.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Interesting idea about the steam oven. I hadn't considered one of those. What do you use it for other than canning or sterilizing (neither of which I currently do)? Do you use it for baking or cooking things like veggies or seafood?

I'm fortunate to I have a large kitchen with lots of cabinets and storage so space isn't an issue with the warming drawer. I'm wondering if people who spend the money on them actually find them useful on a regular enough basis. Most models I've looked at are over $1000. I think I would use mine regularly for warming dishes because I do like to serve meals on warm dishes. Currently I do that in the microwave but I can't fit many in there and some aren't microwaveable anyway.

Are there any other uses for a warming drawer other than keeping foods and dishes warm? Do they work well for proofing bread?

I have a warming drawer in the bottom of my GE Profile XL44. I love it. I use it often. Well I use it all the time I guess, because when it's not warming something it's great storage. But when we've had company it's invaluable. Like we did beaucoups of for real french fries in there once. Lots of stuff.

Plus I use it all the time for drying out cake decorating stuff. Like I just made calla lily stems. Or if I make gum paste stuff.

I love mine and I don't think the whole stove was $900.

For bread rising, I use a pan of steamy water inside the turned off oven. When I had a pilot light in there it was easier.

First of all, when I saw the title to this thread my first thought was, "why don't they just put them in the dryer? That will get them nice and toasty on even the coldest winter morning." ...

...I still like the idea of drawers in the dryer on a cold morning. But that's another story altogether.

But nothing beats radiators for true drawer (and the contents of the drawers) warming. :biggrin:

Edited by K8memphis (log)

There is a warming drawer in my stove, and I love it. (The stove is a Frigidaire, and came with the house.) Actually, sometimes I forget that I have it, since it's still a relatively new concept for me. I use it because I still have trouble timing everything so it comes out at the same time, or when I need to use my wok for more than one dish. I've also used it to warm plates, and of course, it's a good storage space. Yes, I can probably use the oven for the same purpose, but I'm guessing that the warming drawer uses less gas/electricity than turning the oven on does. When it comes time to get a new stove, it won't be high on my priority list, but for now, I'm glad I have one.

Mayhaw Man, you're funny. I like the idea of warm drawers too, but the idea of shlepping down three flights of stairs while half asleep to the basement just isn't appealing.

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

Love mine. I use it all the time when I entertain or when I'm holding a plate of food for late arriving husband. Put it on moist heat and it doesn't dry out. I also use it to warm plates. Do you NEED it? That's another question but I suspect that most of us have many things that we don't need, just want.

jb

I have double ovens and a warming drawer. I use the warming drawer to proof bread, heat plates, and keep hot food hot while finishing the rest of the meal. It is a Dacor and the good thing is that it's on a timer, so shuts off by itself. It has a variable heat setting, but no thermometer, so I keep an oven thermometer in it so I know what it's doing. The bad thing is the knob on the timer has stripped, so I'll have to replace it and it's only a couple years old. It's stainless on the inside and the outside matches my cabinets, so it's stealthy.

I am glad I have it.

Regarding the steam oven, I can't explain why, but everything that I cook in there tastes better than using a regular countertop steamer or stovetop steamer. There are lots of recipes here:

http://www.miele.com/usa/cooking/mielerecipe/recipe_list.asp

Last thanksgiving, I made the same cornbread and oyster stuffing that I usually make, however, I didn't have room in the other ovens to cook it, so I thought I'd try it in the steam oven. Voila! Magnificent. Everyone said it was the best they'd ever had. Even simple things like steamed broccoli taste better when I cook them in the steam oven (I don't even add seasoning, which is weird for me as I am a salt freak). The manufacturer has some long explanation on its website about why steam cooking is so much better than regular cooking. I don't really know if any of it is true, but I can tell you that the food cooked in the steam oven tastes great!

Thankfully, my regular ovens have a "proofing" setting that I can use when I need to warm plates or keep food warm for awhile. I don't have room for a separate warming drawer, I've got too many appliances as it is and I had to draw the line somewhere!

KBJ

We have a Kenmore Elite stainless drop in range and the bottom is a 3 tep warming drawer. At first I wasn't sure what to do withit besides plates but now I find it very valuable as I throw a lot of parties and I can keep my cooked hors d'oeuvres warm until I'm readyto pass them. Need??? hmmm.... I think there are very few things we all need!

I'm not suggesting the Kenmore Elite line however of the maintence folks at Sears..........................