• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Plastic wrap, bags, and flavor

A Patric

Hi All,

I believe that I recall Harold McGee talking about storage of something or the other in his masterpiece: "On Food and Cooking," and he mentioned that Saran, or the like, was the best type of plastic wrap to use because it was manufactured from a material that did not allow oxygen to pass through it, unlike other plastic wraps apparently.

I am wondering what this type of material is (common and/or scientific name), and whether there are also food-storage bags made out of it.

This should minimize flavor deterioration due to oxidation.

Secondarily, I'm wondering if this material, whatever it may be, is free from components that make the food taste like plastic? Perhaps these components are "plasticizers," but I am not sure if that is really the case.

I guess what I am trying to find is a food storage bag that not only is pretty air-tight (though not necessarily vacuumed), but also does not make the food taste like plastic.

What type of material am I looking for, and what brand name would I find it under? As for what I'm not looking for, Ziplock bags have a very clear "plasticky" smell and flavor that they impart to the food, and hat I find distasteful.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by A Patric (log)

I have just been doing a little reading on-line and it looks like Saran Wrap is actually made from polyvinyl chloride and that apparently this material does breathe slightly. That said, it makes me wonder whether to trust my memory, and since I can't find any comments in McGee's book, it makes me wonder if he is the one that said what I think that I read.

If anyone is interested, here is one of the sites that I have been looking at that seems to give a decent idea of the different types of plastics used in food-safe containers.

http://virtualweberbullet.com/plastics.html

look about 1/3 of the way down