• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

pairing question

devlin

I'm supposing right off the bat the answer might be goat cheese, but then again, maybe not....

Anyway, I'm trying to come up with a blend of cream cheese and something a little stronger (funkier, but not in the bleu variety, along the lines of goat cheese maybe) to ultimately be paired with prunes soaked in some variety of booze.

The cream cheese has the base flavor and consistency I like, but it doesn't have quite the oomph I'm looking for.

Any suggestions?

Try Roccolo. It's a cow's milk from Italy that has a bit more funk/tanginess than straight goat cheese.

It's my new favorite. We have it where I work and I'm always asking for another "taste". :blush:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I should have stipulated no herbs. I don't want the prunes to compete with too many things and I want the overall flavor sweetish rather than savory.

I have tried the goat cheese, but it doesn't provide quite the tang or oomph I was going for.

So, Katie, the roccolo sounds like what I might be looking for. Although it puts me in mind of cough drops.

Thanks!

But don't let that stop anybody else from chiming in.

Devlin:

Try going to your best local cheese shop and seeing if they have it, so you can try a taste first. It's definitely a bit bold, but really creamy and tasty. I love it, but my palate may not be the same as yours.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Oh, not the herb-garlic Boursin. They make one that's great for desserts. It's called "Boursin Fig, Raisin & Nut."

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

(They also make one with just pepper, which can be nice for desserts.)

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)