• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What’s in the markets in France – February

John Talbott

What’s in the markets in France – February

I’ve gotten a little encouragement to start a monthly series on products in our markets after my response to the thread on March products. So, here’s February – much credit to the Almanach du Gastronomie by Armelle de Scitivaux (Bottin Goumand, 1998, 133 FF) and Regal magazine, (recommended by the LTP of member Paga), featuring a combo of restaurant, product and recipe info that is really cutting edge, by me anyway (unfortunately they have no worthwhile web presence – you gotta call 01.43.23.45.72 or buy a copy which has subscription data).

The following are in full season in February (underlined items are biggies and/or have recipes in Regal): oysters, bar, cod, merlan, langoustines, sole, turbot, lotte, oursin, coquille St-Jacques, calamari, coques, herring, monkfish, l’omble chevalier, palourdes, praires, ray, salmon and plie; milk-fed lamb, goose, farm pork and veal; l’Abondance, Cantal, Laguiole, Salers, Mimolette, Comte, l’Epoisses, Maroilles, Mont d’or, Munster-gerome, Vacherin, Ossau-Iraty; avocados, betterave, swiss chard, spinach, broccoli, cauliflower, leeks, fennel, dry mushrooms, celery-rave, rutabaga, topinambour, crosnes, salsify, celery, raddichio, cabbage, endives, Soissons beans, lentils from Puy, mache, turnips, parsnips, leeks and frisee; truffles; chestnuts; bananas, kiwi fruits (kiwis are the folks; kiwi fruits the products); yellow lemons, grapefruit, bananas, clementines, mandarins, Seville and other oranges, cumbava, dates and exotic fruits (e.g., mangos, passion fruit, litchis, coconuts, kaki, pomegranates, kumquats, starfruit and ground cherry).

Others - please add to it.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris