• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

chocolate shops in New Mexico?

Theobroma.

Friendly proprietor, outstanding chocolate, 2 locations.

And, for audacity, its gotta be The Candy Lady!

I couldn't find links, but she has been cited and fined for obscenity several times by the city for her "Adult Only" room.

Andrea

http://tenacity.net

"You can't taste the beauty and energy of the Earth in a Twinkie." - Astrid Alauda

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Food Lovers' Guide to Santa Fe, Albuquerque & Taos: OMG I wrote a book. Woo!

Theobroma.

Friendly proprietor, outstanding chocolate, 2 locations.

And, for audacity, its gotta be The Candy Lady!

I couldn't find links, but she has been cited and fined for obscenity several times by the city for her "Adult Only" room. 

Andrea

Yay! Chocolate. And naughty chocolate? Hooray!! Thx.

Add Todos Santos to the list. Located in Sena Plaza, the courtyard complex of shops adjacent to the Casa Sena restaurant at 125 Palace Avenue just off the Plaza downtown Santa Fe. Phone number is 982-3855.

I very much like Chocolate Smith as mentioned by others. Todos is, I think, a bit "fancier" and thus more "special".

Bob Sherwood

“When the wolf is at the door, one should invite him in and have him for dinner.”

- M.F.K. Fisher

Add Todos Santos to the list.  Located in Sena Plaza, the courtyard complex of shops adjacent to the Casa Sena restaurant at 125 Palace Avenue just off the Plaza downtown Santa Fe.  Phone number is 982-3855.

I very much like Chocolate Smith as mentioned by others.  Todos is, I think, a bit "fancier" and thus more "special".

I second that. I suggested Chocolatesmith with artisanal/local chocolates in mind; but the guys at Todos Santos know what they're doing, and they carry products similar (or identical) to those that one might see in a Dean & DeLuca catalogue. Wonderful selection and great for gifts. There's also a Teuscher counter at Cookworks on Guadalupe.

ChocolateSmith, by the way, only does dark chocolate, but the hand-wrought green chile pistachio bark (and the red chili bark, too) is worth the trip alone. Then there are the peanut butter fingers (I prefer the plain, but the 'Pecos' version comes infused iwth ancho and chipotle) and the chocolate pates... oh, the pates. And don't knock white chocolate until you've tried their fragrant and epiphanic version with almonds, lavender and lemon.

Plus, their mint patties are studded with fairy dust. Okay: crushed Altoids. Pretty clever, eh?

I miss Santa Fe so much sometimes. I love that place.

Edited by Verjuice (log)

There's also a Teuscher counter at Cookworks on Guadalupe.

Verjuice... I hate to be the bearer of bad news but Cookworks is closing. Buildings were sold and suddenly they announced a "Going-Out-Of-Business" sale; surprised everyone in town. I expect them to be gone in a few more days.

That said Las Cosas in the De Vargas shopping center (the other excellent cooking store) has a display of assorted truffles that are good though I cannot tell you where they are brought in from.

Bob Sherwood

“When the wolf is at the door, one should invite him in and have him for dinner.”

- M.F.K. Fisher

There's also a Teuscher counter at Cookworks on Guadalupe.

Verjuice... I hate to be the bearer of bad news but Cookworks is closing. Buildings were sold and suddenly they announced a "Going-Out-Of-Business" sale; surprised everyone in town. I expect them to be gone in a few more days.

That said Las Cosas in the De Vargas shopping center (the other excellent cooking store) has a display of assorted truffles that are good though I cannot tell you where they are brought in from.

Bummer! I hadn't heard anything about the closing or the sale. What a shame.

In Albuquerque, The Flowerage, (7400 Montgomery NE) sells low carb chocolates, chocolates with chiles, and chocolates with nuts. Worth trying.

I'm a canning clean freak because there's no sorry large enough to cover the, "Oops! I gave you botulism" regrets.

• 3 weeks later...

Might be a little late, but in Taos there is Xocoatl. I just saw some of their chocolate for sale today at a cafe in Albuquerque, some 73% Venezuelan.

Andrea

"You can't taste the beauty and energy of the Earth in a Twinkie." - Astrid Alauda

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Food Lovers' Guide to Santa Fe, Albuquerque & Taos: OMG I wrote a book. Woo!