• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rutt Hut History

Holly Moore

Just got this email from a guy who has been eating at Rutt Hutt for 75 years:

When I saw your page I just had to look at the Rutts Hut site. I was born in Clifton, NJ, over 75 years ago, and Rutts has to be my all time favorite. I first visited Rutts in 1943 when I was 16 and illegally driving my own car. My fondest memories are walking into the counter area where the crowd was 4 deep most of the time. As soon as I walked in, a counterman saw me and yelled out for my order. His nickname was "Sparky" and he was the star of Rutts Hut. By the time I fought my way to the counter, my hot dogs were waiting for me, whether it was one or ten. Then, fight my way back to a back counter where the secret relish was waiting in large bowls which I then used to smother my hot dogs.

In those early days, Rutts had a pig being roasted on a chain BBQ conveyor and the pigs were then sliced to make pork BBQ sandwiches, which again, we smothered with Rutts secret sauce. My brother later married a niece of Roy Rutt, the owner. I met him at a party at my brother's house and Roy was a heavy drinker which eventually killed him. His widow continued making the sauce in her basement, even after the place was sold, and kept shipping it to the new owners. We never got the secret recipe from her but the present owners must still have it. The last time I went to Rutts Hut was in 1998 and the hot dogs and relish still tasted as good as when I first tasted them.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Yup, my mother (who just turned 69) reports that going to Rutt's after being taken to the drive-in (remember those?!) by her aunt and uncle is a favorite childhood memory. I only went there for the first time in the late 80s, when I was working in a nearby office complex in Rutherford...

An odd alien wench

• 4 weeks later...

Holly, I am the grandaughter of and neice of the Rutts. I am wondering who your quote is from. My mother is really the only blood neice of Royal. I need to find out if this may be my uncle whom I haven't ever met. Please e-mail me with some info...I, do have one of the special recipes. Sorry, I can never give it out. Some of the information in that post seems inaccurate. Logged in as Lorraine...

The Family name is simply Rutt, Would you describe the secret sauce? The barbecue sauce has ground beef in it. Have you had that one? There are a few types, I am interested in the one with the ground beef. I am making it this weekend and will process it in jars, but not before mom tries it in order to ensure it's authenticity..

The recipe is listed as BBQ sauce. However, it is the Chili Sauce for the dogs. I broke it down last night and made a batch. It's pretty powerful stuff. Since I have never had it before I really don't know how close I came to it. My mom will try it tonight and tell me if I've got it or not. Also, we are going there and I will try it for the first time and be able to judge for myself. I have eaten at Clixies, Goffle Grill, Colonial Grill, etc. It's hard to make any type of comparison, since it seems that whatever you are used to eating, you generally rely upon. My husband tried it last night and he was too busy trying to make comparisons rather than a"Do you like it or not" answer. If you have eaten the dogs with that sauce I am describing, please explain the texture, color and possibly one main ingredient you taste in it. NJ2FLA...Please tell me more. Thanks, Lorraine

Well I have had the "all the way" sauce at Rascals on Rt 46 (no longer there) and at Hot Grill in Clifton on Lexington. I never seen chili sauce at Rutts. Everyone get's the mustard/relish and some people get cheese (yuck).

The people that used to own the Rascals on Rt 46 used to give me a quart or two of the sauce to take back to Florida with me.

Well, I did have to go and see for myself....Yes, I found the relish, and they do make a chili sauce which is quite dark in color, sold by the cup or bowl and you can put it on your dogs if you so desire. I spoke to the owner in length,(actually) he is the manager and the son of the owner. We brought the original photo of the hut with all the guys who were lined up behind the counter. My grandfather, Uncle Abe, Uncle Harry and Sparky along with others. I had the new owner and his workers line up in sort of the same way and took some photos and will send them a copy of both. Many of them seemed very proud as they lined up for the photo. It was quite nice to see. As for the sauce, The one I have, is a chili sauce more like an "All the Way" style. Of course, my mom says that my recipe is an original that did not go on with the new owners. It is actually a Texas Weiner sauce and Rutt's Hut was never labled a Texas Weiner stand. "The Relish", was the main focus. I am going to visit my Aunt who is the widow of Harry. She will give me the latest and last and hopefully the recipes. It is very amazing how a place can hold so many memories for people. While I only hold a fondness for the people and the name, the feelings attached to Rutt's hut that many hold, makes me proud. It's nice to be connected to a big part of NJ's history. Another thing I found out was that the original dogs were made by a butcher. Upon his dying bed, the Rutt's begged him for the recipe, but he took it to his grave.

Lorraine -

thanks for sharing this fascinating story!

Several of the NC bbq houses (Wilber's, Parker's, Ralph's, etc) have pictures of their places over the years. It gives a real sense of history.

Parker's, just outside Weldon NC, went from a shack in the fields by the side of a two lane road (301) to a complex amid an industrial and office park. Many, many pictures of employees on the walls.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

• 1 month later...

I went to Rutts the other night for 2 wellers and an onion ring. I saw the guy throwing the dogs into the grease fresh out of the Thumann's box and thought of John.

So some trivia.. anyknow what what:

a) marvis

b) howdy

are the slang for at the Hutt?