• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Microwave candied citrus peel, small batch.

andiesenji

I developed this method of making small batches of candied citrus peel when I needed just a little for decoration or for a specific recipe.

I usually make it in large batches in a crockpot but this is quick and easy and virtually foolproof.

I have demonstrated it in an office and in the housewares section in a department store as it doesn't take much in the way of equipment or supplies.

Cut off top and bottom of orange or other citrus. (This works for two medium to large oranges, three or four lemons, or one large grapefruit.

Using a round-tip spoon, (like a soup spoon) slide the dip downward between the flesh and the rind, working your way around the fruit, then turn it upside-down and repeat the process until the rind is completely loose from the flesh.

You want both the colored skin and the white part.

On one side make a vertical cut and remove the rind from the fruit.

Flatten the strip of rind on a cutting board and cut into 1/4 inch strips.

Place the strips into a Pyrex measurer, 1 quart or larger. (I recommend the 2-quart size once you are cooking the peel in syrup.)

Fill to within 2 inches of the top, there should be a lot more water than citrus rind.

Microwave for 10 minutes.

Drain the water off and add fresh water

Microwave for another 10 minutes

Drain that water and add fresh water

Microwave for 10 minutes.

Drain and set aside.

Rinse the Pyrex container and to it add 1 1/2 cups water and 1 cup sugar.

Microwave for 3 minutes - it will start to bubble up.

Add the peel to the syrup and microwave for 5 minutes.

WATCH IT.

If it starts to boil over stop the microwave.

If you have a larger, 2-quart Pyrex measure, use that instead of the quart.

Stir the peel, return to the microwave and microwave for another 5 minutes.

Let the peel cool down for at least 30 minutes.

Now microwave again for two 5 minutes sessions.

Pick a couple of pieces out of the syrup and drain it on a wire grid until it is cool.

If the white part has colored and become translucent, it should be done.

It may require one or two more cooking sessions, if the peel is extra thick.

Taste it. If it tastes okay, place all the pieces on the drying rack and let it dry until it is just tacky, then toss it in granulated sugar.

It dries faster if you have a fan blowing on it.

( RG1227 )

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett