• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

one downtown (SEA) resto, one seafood dish

Okay, as an alternative to my tasting menu quest, here's an alternative: Help me create a walking tasting menu experience in downtown Seattle.

We'll be free from 3pm onward on an upcoming weekday, ready to preferably walk (or bus) to restaurants to try seafood specialties. Anyone with any favorite dishes to recommend?

For example, can start with fifty cent oysters at Elliott's at 3pm.

(And maybe end with one non-seafood selection: chocolate chaud at Le Pichet.)

It may be too late in the winter season, but for an entree, I would go over to Tom Douglas's "Dahlia Lounge" for the duck confit with pappardelle pasta and wild mushrooms. Tom puts out some wonderful hearty meat dishes during the winter at both the "Dahlia Lounge" and his "Palace Kitchen."

Crab and fried avocado salad at 94 Stewart. Mussels at Maximilien.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

Personally I would start at Shuckers at their oyster happy hour. They have more options to choose from at the happy hour price and you get free Parmesan crisps. Then over to Union to work the bar menu, available from 5-7pm and 10-12. Then I would hop a cab to Brasa for their happy hour menu, also available until 7, then over to Tavolata for some shareables from the Primi and Secondi parts of the menu and a few zeppole, then on back to Le Pichet for chocolate chaude and some cheeses. Actually, I would start at Vessel at 3pm, have a nice cocktail, and a few items off the happy hour menu there, like the mini croques, and then go to Shuckers. The only tough part is that you only have four hours to go from Vessel to Brasa following this plan, but everything after that is pretty relaxed as far as pacing goes. I like progressive dinners, haven't done one in a while. I may follow my own advice and hit the trail.

Rocky

Edited by rockdoggydog (log)

This is exactly what I'm looking for - thanks! Only challenge would be drinks at all these different places, especially if someone is a non-drinker!

Personally I would start at Shuckers at their oyster happy hour.  They have more options to choose from at the happy hour price and you get free Parmesan crisps.  Then over to Union to work the bar menu, available from 5-7pm and 10-12.  Then I would hop a cab to Brasa for their happy hour menu, also available until 7, then over to Tavolata for some shareables from the Primi and Secondi parts of the menu and a few zeppole, then on back to Le Pichet for chocolate chaude and some cheeses.  Actually, I would start at Vessel at 3pm, have a nice cocktail, and a few items off the happy hour menu there, like the mini croques, and then go to Shuckers.  The only tough part is that you only have four hours to go from Vessel to Brasa following this plan, but everything after that is pretty relaxed as far as pacing goes.  I like progressive dinners, haven't done one in a while.  I may follow my own advice and hit the trail.

Rocky

Ah, the non-drinking can be a bit sticky as there is usually a drink requirement of some sort that goes with happy hour pricing. I would think that they would have non-alcoholic choices though. Perhaps let the others in your group do the drinking? Maximillien mentioned above by Tighe is also a great option, really dig the mussels. Just a word of warning about the Elliotts oyster happy hour. There's only one type available each day for the happy hour price and the last time I went they were definitely cheap oysters if you know what I mean.

Rocky

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks again for all the great advice, everyone.

We ended up at Maximilien for happy hour mussels, which were tasty and a nice way to start the evening.

Then on to Union to enjoy some selections on both the bar and dinner menus. Our favorite was the scallops over lentils braised with ham hock. Runners-up were the beef tartare and pork belly dishes (caramelized fat is a dessert, right?). The geoduck and ahi tuna dishes were also fine.

Finally, a stroll to Le Pichet for the Chocolate Chaud. Can't go wrong with that!

[Deep breath. Digesting.]