• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Animal Fats: Better Cooking Through Science 02

Chris Amirault

Why do I consistently get better browning when I use rendered pork fat vs. oil or butter?

Probably because the saturated fat is able to absorb more surface area during cooking and also clings (like cooked sugar) to the meat.

I'm not sure I follow this. What does "absorb more surface area" mean?

I am not sure scientifically, but it seems to me from my personal experience that when I cook with animal fat (duck mainly) that the fat seems "grab a hold" of the meat easier than say, canola.maybe i'll try an experiment when I get a chance. Sear the same exact cut of meat, same temperatures for same amount of time. Then I will check which one cooked faster, which one is hotter, which one created the most malliard and where, and which one (after removing form the pan) retained the most fat from the cooking surface.

I think that will be neat to find out.

Dean Anthony Anderson

"If all you have to eat is an egg, you had better know how to cook it properly" ~ Herve This

Pastry Chef: One If By Land Two If By Sea

You might also take a look at whether the second batch of food browns faster/better than the first. My first batch, even with leaving the stove on for a while, never seems to brown up as successfully as following batches.

I was going to chime in and say I recalled something from McGee's OFAC that fats don't reach an optimum browning potential until they've broken down somewhat. Restaurants know that you have to mix in a bit of the old fry oil with the fresh stuff otherwise the first few fried things are going to come out overly pale. By rendering fat, you've already cooked them once so they're going to brown better.

PS: I am a guy.