• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

freezer biscuit recipe

KitchenQueen

I'm sure there is a thread here somewhere, I just can't find it.

I work, and a time is at a premium in the morning. I recently purchased some frozen biscuits, popped then into the oven and was amazed to find they weren't half bad. I expected pure crap, but they were decent. Not wonderful, but decent.

Obviously good homemade buttermilk biscuits are better. I need something I can freeze and pop into a toaster oven at work.

Does anyone have a recipe ,or can you shoot me toward the thread that probably exists here?

No recipes containing sugar please. My Southern female ancestors would rise from their graves and do great damage to me, not to mention what the living ones would do. And I'd probably gag.

You never put sugar in biscuits or cornbread.

Thanks !

Obviously good homemade buttermilk biscuits are better.  I need something I can freeze and pop into a toaster oven at work. 

Homemade are better, in theory.

I'm not ashamed to admit that it's a rare day when I can produce a biscuit much better than a right-out-of-the-freezer biscuit by the Pillsbury Dough Dude!

SB :rolleyes:

Obviously good homemade buttermilk biscuits are better.  I need something I can freeze and pop into a toaster oven at work. 

I'm not ashamed to admit that it's a rare day when I can produce a biscuit much better than a right-out-of-the-freezer biscuit by the Pillsbury Dough Dude!

SB :rolleyes:

That's what I heard. A serious foodie friend tried the Pillsbury and declared them very good. The ones I bought were a local company.

I'd still rather make them myself for pennies a pop.

Obviously good homemade buttermilk biscuits are better. I need something I can freeze and pop into a toaster oven at work.

Just bake your usual buttermilk biscuits. Cool, wrap individually and freeze. Reheat in a 350° oven for about ten minutes. possibly not quite as flaky as when they first come out of the oven, but still very good indeed. I use half lard and alf butter. I'm not sure if that is what helps them survive the freezerso well

Ruth Friedman

Just bake your usual buttermilk biscuits. Cool, wrap individually and freeze. Reheat in a 350° oven for about ten minutes. possibly not quite as flaky as when they first come out of the oven, but still very good indeed. I use half lard and alf butter. I'm not sure if that is what helps them survive the freezerso well

So you bake them first? The frozen ones are unbaked.

I have made and frozen pre-baked the biscuts from Dorie Greenspan's "From my home to yours" with great results. Bake from frozen at 425 for about 18 minutes.

Edited to add: Oops. Her recipe does contain 2 t of sugar. Never mind.

Edited by Marlene (log)

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

SB  :rolleyes:

Or as consistent. I think the Pillsbury Frozen guys are ALMOST as good as my Southern SIL's..........and she makes very good biscuits. I can make a good one sometimes but , since I am a Yankee, the entire gestalt of biscuit magic eludes me............... :hmmm:

I vote for the Pillsbury doughboy. Without shame.

K

Just make your favorite biscuit recipe, and freeze after cutting out the rounds. Bake from frozen as usual, with a little longer baking time. I do this since there are only two of us...

It helps to vac seal the biscuits once they are frozen to prevent freezer burn, but careful wrapping would suffice if they aren't kept too long.

Or as consistent. I think the Pillsbury Frozen guys are ALMOST as good as my Southern SIL's..........and she makes very good biscuits. I can make a good one sometimes but , since I am a Yankee, the entire gestalt of biscuit magic eludes me...............  :hmmm:

I vote for the Pillsbury doughboy. Without shame.

K

I think I read this in the King Arthur Flour 200th Anniversary Cookbook?

One of the biggest compliments you can pay a Southern baker is to say they have "a good biscuit hand", meaning they possess that special feel to cut in just the right amount of fat to produce flacky light biscuits.

SB (who is personally "all biscuit thumbs" :sad: )(except dog biscuits :smile: )