• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Newspaper grill

Catherine Iino

In hzrt8w's current foodblog, Rebecca263 posted a description of a newspaper grill. I can't believe I've never even heard of one. Has anyone else--in addition to Rebecca--had experience with these? Can they really maintain heat for longer than a few seconds? Does it get dangerously hot on the outside? Can something so cheap really work?

Rebecca--I'm not doubting your word. I'd like to hear more from you and others, and this seems like the right forum.

Whoa, blast from the past!

If you can find one for a couple of bucks, go for it. But, I'd rather spend a few more bucks and get this, or spend even more and get this. I happen to have both, and I'll go out on a limb and say that it'll blow the doors off the newspaper grill.

But, they sure did cost a lot more...

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

It's not the cost of the grill that's the most attractive thing about it; I love the idea of being able to just use newspaper for fuel. But does that really work?

I normally use a chimney starter with charcoal in a big Weber kettle, and that's quick, but it does feel a little wasteful for a small amount of food, and I'm not always organized enough to have eggplants, peppers, etc. ready to go on when I'm done with the burgers.

There's a reason why it's hard to find -- if it worked, all the brick & mortar home stores would carry them, all your friends would have one, etc. But, it doesn't work well, and that's why everyone I know has a Weber...

And using a charcoal grill for a small amount of food is not wasteful, IF you remember to close the vents (starve the oxygen) on your Weber when you're done cooking. Those coals can be used again.

Edited by Joe Blowe (log)

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

There's a reason why it's hard to find -- if it worked, all the brick & mortar home stores would carry them, all your friends would have one, etc.  But, it doesn't work well, and that's why everyone I know has a Weber...

And using a charcoal grill for a small amount of food is not wasteful, IF you remember to close the vents (starve the oxygen) on your Weber when you're done cooking.  Those coals can be used again.

A double agreement to you, Joe.

Ray