• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pedro Ximenez tasting--advice sought

Gypsy Boy

I am planning to host a vertical tasting of Pedro Ximenez (Toro Albala) and I'm having trouble with two things: should it follow a meal or be done on its own? That's number one and my sense on the answer is that, given the nature of the stuff, for its own sake makes much more sense. I think it would just be too much to try a tasting of PX following a full-scale meal.

Second issue then arises: what to accompany? I've participated in countless wine tastings, but this isn't quite the same thing. Fruits and nuts and cheeses logically suggest themselves, and I suppose that all three should be available, but this kind of tasting is new to me and I am seeking all advice, experienced or otherwise. Right now, I'm thinking especially of a selection of blue cheeses and fruit (or fruit-based items, such as an orange flan). But the more I think about this, the confused-er I get. All suggestions are most welcome.

"La cuisine, c'est quand les choses ont le goût de ce qu'elles sont."

Curnonsky (Maurice Edmond Sailland)

Maybe look at this thread, Pedro Ximenez. On page two, there's a pumpkin bread pudding pairing that sounds sublime, as well as some other original suggestions. I like the idea of squash puddings, and would also suggest the introduction of a subtle amount of grated ginger root, to keep the pairing choice lively.

I agree you should taste the selections first, and then perhaps celebrate with some pairings that match and challenge the sherries.

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook

Given that you've mentioneed this will be a vertical from Albala, I take it the wines will be labeled Don PX Gran Reserva, and will be quite old. Albala also makes a PX that is of the non-vintage variety, and is several shades lighter than their Don PX Gran Reserva.

If that's the case, your ideas for food pairing sound fine, although I'd probably prefer an aged hard cheese instead of a blue-veined cheese. Some have suggested using the wine as pancake syrup, but I know you're not going to do that.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

Given that you've mentioneed this will be a vertical from Albala, I take it the wines will be labeled Don PX Gran Reserva, and will be quite old....  Some have suggested using the wine as pancake syrup, but I know you're not going to do that.

Yes. At the moment, assuming all works out as I hope, I plan to taste the 1945, 1959, 1966, and 1971. If I can get my hands on the 1981--which I have been told isn't even avaiable at Toro Albala anymore--I'll add that.

Bless you for confirming my thoughts about using the wine as ice cream topping (:shock:). I have been spending a lot of time researching pairings and every list I find includes the notion of using it to top vanilla ice cream. Golly. Maybe it's good--I don't know. But I honestly can't wrap my head around taking very old PX and doing that with it.

For those still reading, let me ask the unspoken question that does have me wondering: is there likely to be enough difference to warrant the tasting?

Edited by Gypsy Boy (log)

"La cuisine, c'est quand les choses ont le goût de ce qu'elles sont."

Curnonsky (Maurice Edmond Sailland)

At the moment, assuming all works out as I hope, I plan to taste the 1945, 1959, 1966, and 1971.  If I can get my hands on the 1981--which I have been told isn't even avaiable at Toro Albala anymore--I'll add that.

You should also be able to find 1972 and 1975. But maybe you want to spread the vintages out further than that.

For those still reading, let me ask the unspoken question that does have me wondering:  is there likely to be enough difference to warrant the tasting?

I was wondering the same thing. A friend of mine tasted the 1971, 1972, and 1975 side by side and easily prefered the 1972. So that's one person that found enough difference. Given that you have a wider spread to the vintages, however, I would think there's enough of a "scientific" reason to warrant the tasting.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero