• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Molecular fruit mousse

schneich

in our shop we do a lot of small fruit mousse based entremets. the usual gelatin and or meringue based recipes work fine, but especially if you want to do a lot of different flavors, its a time consuming thing to do. recentley i experimented a lot with xanthan. you can easily thicken your fruit puree with xanthan, and then fold it into beaten cream. the result is a very smooth fruit mousse which is ideal for filling tartelettes or so, the downside is that its not stable enough to hold its shape decently. so i thought maybe someone already tried a combination of xanthan and carrageen... or maybe locust, or methylcellulose. i need a real fast and failsafe recipe, please help...

cheers

t.

toertchen toertchen

patissier chocolatier cafe

cologne, germany

in our shop we do a lot of small fruit mousse based entremets. the usual gelatin and or meringue based recipes work fine, but especially if you want to do a lot of different flavors, its a time consuming thing to do. recentley i experimented a lot with xanthan. you can easily thicken your fruit puree with xanthan, and then fold it into beaten cream. the result is a very smooth fruit mousse which is ideal for filling tartelettes or so, the downside is that its not stable enough to hold its shape decently. so i thought maybe someone already tried a combination of xanthan and carrageen... or maybe locust, or methylcellulose. i need a real fast and failsafe recipe, please help...

cheers

t.

some things I've been doing: sabayon made wth agar and fruit puree, puree with versawhip or egg white and gelatin...no added fat.

www.adrianvasquez.net

• 3 months later...

cheers

t.

some things I've been doing: sabayon made wth agar and fruit puree, puree with versawhip or egg white and gelatin...no added fat.

ive heard (dufresne) that xantham gum and hydrolized soy protein/or methylcellulose can create moouse like products, as far as stability, i had an accidcental one stand up for a long time but have yet to repeat my inital sucess.