• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Coconut Syrup

gmi3804

I'm traveling in Hawaii, and restaurants here serve coconut syrup with their pancakes. I'd love a good recipe (the restaurants that make it homemade won't divulge their recipes).

The bottled kind looks rather milky and fake, whereas the homemade varieties are clear like simple syrup.

Any good recipes out there?

Thanks!

I'd love a good recipe (the restaurants that make it homemade won't divulge their recipes).

:rolleyes: Might this one work out for you:

coconut syrup recipe

definitely not a clear syrup though ...

another version in this recipe

Edited by Gifted Gourmet (log)

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

I wonder if you could just make a double strength sugar syrup (2:1) and steep unsweetened coconut in it overnight--that's how i make all my syrups. I'm going to try it--sounds good.

Zoe

I'm traveling in Hawaii, and restaurants here serve coconut syrup with their pancakes.  I'd love a good recipe (the restaurants that make it homemade won't divulge their recipes).

The bottled kind looks rather milky and fake, whereas the homemade varieties are clear like simple syrup.

Thanks!

Maybe try slow cooking coconut milk to get the maillard effect (just like slow cooking of yoghurt makes it brown?

Tom

Een dag niet gekookt is een dag niet geleefd.