• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bachelors in HRM and beyond ?

ChefJB

Hello all, I am trying to get some input.

I am 35 and have been working in the industry since I was 12, I currently have an Associates degree from one of the bigger culinary schools, and am a teacher at a culinary school. I am thinking about going back to school to get my bachelors in Hotel and Restaurant management. I am leaning towards trying to move into the top of the house, just wondering if anybody has more than a 2 year culinary degree and if it is worth it. Most of the programs out there are 20k ish to finish, and with a child at home and trying to think about saving for his college I just wonder if the benefits outweigh the cost.

I learned alot at culinary school, but sometimes wonder if I just should have moved to NYC and worked 16 hours a day in an upper tier restaurant. I feel sometimes that the cost did not outweigh the benefits.

Thanks in advance for any input.

John