• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Perfect Party Cake

oli

Has anybody read through or made the cake. I have one in the oven presently, but this is the first time I have been asked to place the pans on a baking sheet. What does that do for the cake, and I don't know about everyone else but put the pans on a baking sheet will not allow me to place both pans on the same shelf.

Is this recipe from her recent book, 'Baking from my Home to Yours"? If so, you may find some info on a recent thread in which many people are cooking from the book and shariing their results and tips: click You may be able to get some specific feedback on this particular recipe.

I think that having a sheet pan underneath the cake pan can permit more even heat transfer to the caking pans. This may help the cake to rise more evenly and brown more evenly on the bottom.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Is this recipe from her recent book, 'Baking from my Home to Yours"?  If so, you may find some info on a recent thread in which many people are cooking from the book and shariing their results and tips: click  You may be able to get some specific feedback on this particular recipe.

I think that having a sheet pan underneath the cake pan can permit more even heat transfer to the caking pans.  This may help the cake to rise more evenly and brown more evenly on the bottom.

You know, what else I noticed, was that my layers look much thiner than Dorie's. My layer looks as thick as hers before being split.