• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Deephaven

Deephaven

Picture link fail

I could not find a thread on carbonating water.  It is the drink of choice in our house.  We are about to remodel our kitchen and I’d like to have carbonated water on tap.  Currently we have what I refer to as a redneck soda stream.  It consists of taking 2L bottles of ¾ full water and putting them in the fridge until they are cold.  Squeezing the air out and injecting 60psi/4bar of CO2 into the bottles and shaking them.

This is the current setup.  I ran a copper tube into the basement where I have a 20lb C02 container.  There is a pressure gauge and ball valve under the sink.  I started with a shrader valve screwed into a pop top, but someone else on Amazon invented a better widget for that.

BUEFWao.png

YdW29Of.jpg

This makes extremely carbonated water.  I am addicted to the carbonation level and water like San Pellegrino with it’s minimal bubbles is just not exciting to me.

There seem to be a few different methods of having cold carbonated water on tap.

-A carbonator running into a cold plate in an icemaker

-Compact remote chiller

-A cornelius keg in a fridge

In our current design we do have a place for the icemaker/cold plate and had contemplated that as a solution, but wondering what you all think or have experience with?

Deephaven

Deephaven

I could not find a thread on carbonating water.  It is the drink of choice in our house.  We are about to remodel our kitchen and I’d like to have carbonated water on tap.  Currently we have what I refer to as a redneck soda stream.  It consists of taking 2L bottles of ¾ full water and putting them in the fridge until they are cold.  Squeezing the air out and injecting 60psi/4bar of CO2 into the bottles and shaking them.

This is the current setup.  I ran a copper tube into the basement where I have a 20lb C02 container.  There is a pressure gauge and ball valve under the sink.  I started with a shrader valve screwed into a pop top, but someone else on Amazon invented a better widget for that.

https://i.imgur.com/BUEFWao.png

https://i.imgur.com/YdW29Of.jpg

This makes extremely carbonated water.  I am addicted to the carbonation level and water like San Pellegrino with it’s minimal bubbles is just not exciting to me.

There seem to be a few different methods of having cold carbonated water on tap.

-A carbonator running into a cold plate in an icemaker

-Compact remote chiller

-A cornelius keg in a fridge

In our current design we do have a place for the icemaker/cold plate and had contemplated that as a solution, but wondering what you all think or have experience with?