• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fusion Cuisine

Carrot Top

I've pulled these quotes from another thread in progress:

Given that we have no modern-day Escoffier to mandate our culinary definitions, I would suggest that "fusion" is likely more an attitude than a precise technique or approach.  Though generally thought of as a marriage of French and Asian (and could anything be less precise than "Asian?" Thai, 85 Chinese regions, Korean, etc...) it gets thrown around a lot here in the states as a descriptor for other marriages, as well.  I remember (though not favorably) dinner at Asia de Cuba in LA a meal of Asian-Latin fusion. 

For cooks and diners, it's important to have a precise definition of "sautee" or "dice."  It's not important to have a precise definition of "fusion."  

A propose of Carrot Top, I wonder if the first fusion meal was when someItalian married noodles -- origin (Some say): China -- with tomatoes from the New World to make spaghetti abnd red sauce.

When in doubt, invoke the Higher Authorities.

According to the Expert on All Things, Culinary or Otherwise, the OED considers the concept of fusion cuisine an American Phenomenon (my Capitals).

The relevant part of the entry on 'fusion' states:

orig. U.S. = fusion cuisine.

]1983 Time (Nexis) 12 Sept., Some practitioners of nuova cucina make no secret of the fact that they are aiming for a fusion of French and Italian culinary techniques]. 1988 Nation's Restaurant News (Nexis) 9 May, The restaurant's French-Asian fusion is apparent in a dessert trio of flavored creme brulees ginger, chocolate mint, and an [sic] mandarin orange served in sake cups. 1998 Grocer 22 Aug. 44/2 What would typify fusion is to have a pasta dish, but to make it with Asian herbs. So you would use basil, but it would be Thai basil. 2001 Evening Standard 21 Sept. (ES Mag.) 49/1 Suddenly, anyone who could lay their hands on a fistful of lemon grass, a couple of kangaroo fillets, a bucket of coconut broth and a bunch of tamarillos was ready to open a fusion restaurant.

fusion cuisine orig. U.S., a style of cookery which blends ingredients and methods of preparation from different countries, regions, or ethnic groups; food cooked in this style.

1986 United Press Internat. Newswire (Nexis) 15 Apr., The dishes Allison creates enjoy an enticing blend of ethnicity, one more subtle and intriguing than any of the influences considered separately... ‘We've always been eating what I call *fusion cuisine, and it's going on more rapidly today than ever before.’ 1993 Calgary Herald 24 Mar. D1 A wonderful fusion cuisine supper featuring tiger prawns in green curry sauce with mascarpone polenta. 2000 P. JOHNSON & C. O'BRIEN World Food: New Orleans 162 The global flavors of fusion cuisine and the essentialist simplicity of new American cuisine have led to exciting high-end interpretations of classic dishes that aren't bound by the rules of tradition.

(Seeing "Fusion Cuisine" as a Named Movement or Fashion it seems.)

Edited to correct a typo)

Busboy said: "I wonder if the first fusion meal was when someItalian married noodles -- origin (Some say): China -- with tomatoes from the New World to make spaghetti abnd red sauce."

I like the way he put that sentence together.

How would you write it if you were the author?

What foods do you imagine the first "fusion" meal as being based on?

I wonder if the first fusion meal was when ___________?

Cast your vote. Fill in the blank.

No prizes awarded, sorry. :biggrin: Except you get to think about food and history. :smile:

Edited by Carrot Top (log)

Busboy said: "I wonder if the first fusion meal was when someItalian married noodles -- origin (Some say): China -- with tomatoes from the New World to make spaghetti abnd red sauce."

I wonder if the first example of culinary fusion, in a more metaphysical sense, was when somebody combined two of the basic natural elements and used fire to boil water?

SB :blink::hmmm::laugh:

Edited by srhcb (log)

I'm thinking more of fusion cuisines. Those native and well established cuisines that were heavily influenced by years of colonial rule. Like the French influence on Vietnamese cuisine for example.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

What about ancient roman cuisine mixing with indigineous cetic/germanic cuisines as they expanded the empire?

And I think it's safe to say that the Moghul emperors kick-started some pretty fine fusion cuisine in India.

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

I wonder if the first example of culinary fusion, in a more metaphysical sense, was when somebody combined two of the basic natural elements and used fire to boil water?

SB  :blink:  :hmmm:  :laugh:

That only counts if they had a tea-bag to put in it. Who wants hot water?

The next great "natural" combination: grain + yeast + water = bread and beer.

Happy Feasting

Janet (a.k.a The Old Foodie)

My Blog "The Old Foodie" gives you a short food history story each weekday day, always with a historic recipe, and sometimes a historic menu.

My email address is: theoldfoodie@fastmail.fm

Anything is bearable if you can make a story out of it. N. Scott Momaday

The first fusion meal no doubt occurred when the cro-magnons met the Neanderthals.

A "Who did we eat for dinner" thread was started shortly thereafter by the Neanderthals.