• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Six Degrees of Separation Game.

Harrison Ford and mango

Harrison Ford provided the whip cracks in the Jimmy Buffet song "Desperation Samba"

"Desperation Samba" was a track on the Buffet album "Last Mango in Paris"

Toulouse Lautrec and Peanut Butter

1-Maurice LaMarche provides the Orson Welles-impersonated voice to one of those popular animated sitcoms; the character is called The Brain. He also serves as the voice of Kellogg's Tucan Sam.

2-Kellogg's manufactures Nutrigrain Bars. Hence, the connection, though I'm sure the originator had a more interesting, direct link in mind.

Regarding my earlier post and point-system:

Why not provide equal points for:

1) Making the connection cleverly in 2-3 steps AND

2) 6 steps?

If it's solved in 4-5 or 7 or more steps, no points. For example, I'd say zero points for my Howard Roark and Chilean Sea Bass solution as it stands.

Were I to point out that you could eliminate steps 2 & 3 and you'd still have the solution and submit that now, you would nod and give me the points for 2-3 steps.

Criteria? It's going to be subjective. However, I'd say a good solution that involves more than 2 steps is one in which all steps in between 1 & the solution are critical to reaching the solution.

So, #2 in a 3-step response has to be there to make sense. Numbers 2, 3, 4 & 5 MUST be in the submitted sequence AND essential to the link made in #6 to award those points.

This way, people who enjoy quickies can submit quickies and those who prefer a circuitous route can have the pleasure of doing things their way, too. :smile:

3) If a proper response is offered for a 6-stepper, the topic gets retired and a call for a 2-3 step answer is no longer made.

4) Every topic submitted MUST be based on a legitimate connection. Ideally, the author of that topic reached the solution IN SEVERAL STEPS, the more, the merrier. That way, the challenge might prove greater and sustain interest.

Edited by Pontormo (log)

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

1-Maurice LaMarche provides the Orson Welles-impersonated voice to one of those popular animated sitcoms; the character is called The Brain.  He also serves as the voice of Kellogg's Tucan Sam.

2-Kellogg's manufactures Nutrigrain Bars.  Hence, the connection, though I'm sure the originator had a more interesting, direct link in mind.

Nah, nothing in mind on that one. Honestly, entirely random.

2) 6 steps?

If it's solved in 4-5 or 7 or more steps, no points.  For example, I'd say zero points for my Howard Roark and Chilean Sea Bass solution as it stands.

Were I to point out that you could eliminate steps 2 & 3 and you'd still have the solution and submit that now, you would nod and give me the points for 2-3 steps.

Criteria?  It's going to be subjective.  However, I'd say a good solution that involves more than 2 steps is one in which all steps in between 1 & the solution are critical to reaching the solutions.

So, #2 in a 3-step response has to be there to make sense.  Numbers 2, 3, 4 & 5 MUST be in the submitted sequence AND essential to the link made in #6 to award those points.

3) If a proper response is offered for a 6-stepper, the topic gets retired and a call for a 2-3 step answer is no longer made.

I understand, and as far as I can tell no one would be penalized points in the middle of the game, and much creativity would go into a convoluted six step solution. I need time to digest and think things and the implications through so please be patient.

I do need to consult with Janet, as well. She has the major responsibility of keeping track of the score and has performed admirably. We'll hear from her in a few hours.

It really is important to us that everyone have fun.

Benjamin Franklin and the Filet-o-Fish sandwich

I can't resist:

Benjamin Franklin said "Fish and visitors stink in three days."

McDonald's Filet-o-Fish Sandwich stinks from a block away.

Anne, clever! If the puzzle comes from Sandy and there's at least one clear connection to be made to Philadelphia, you KNOW his adopted city is involved. I'm clueless, myself.

Edited by Pontormo (log)

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

Benjamin Franklin and the Filet-o-Fish sandwich

I can't resist:

Benjamin Franklin said "Fish and visitors stink in three days."

McDonald's Filet-o-Fish Sandwich stinks from a block away.

Anne, clever! If the puzzle comes from Sandy and there's at least one clear connection to be made to Philadelphia, you KNOW his adopted city is involved. I'm clueless, myself.

Franklin is obviously a well known Philadelphian, but gosh, you can tell when they fry the Filet-O-Fish a mile away!

Annette Funicello and a doner kebab

Annette Funicello was a star of the movie "Beach Blanket Bingo"

A spoof of the movie, called "Beach Blanket Bimbo" was done on Saturday Night Live with Vincent Price and Carrie Fischer

VP and CF discussed the preparation of a lamb Shish-Kebab

Doner kebabs are made from lamb and are generally wrapped in tortilla-like flat bread

George Washington and Würstelstände

Regarding Marilyn Manson and strawberry shortcake...

-On Marilyn Manson's EP "Smells like Children", they did a cover of the Eurythmics "Sweet Dreams".

-The cartoon character Strawberry Shortcake starred in a recently released movie entitled "The Sweet Dreams Movie".

As for the solution of John Dillinger and a glass of milk (that I posted last week)...

-John Dillinger was shot coming out of a Chicago movie theater.

-The movie he had seen was “Manhattan Melodrama”.

-“Manhattan Melodrama”, besides starring Clark Gable, also featured William Powell and Myrna Loy.

-William Powell and Myrna Loy starred as Nick & Nora Charles in a series of “Thin Man” films.

-In the films, Nick & Nora had a dog named Asta.

-The dog that played Asta also played the dog in “Bringing Up Baby” starring Cary Grant & Katherine Hepburn.

-Cary Grant starred in Alfred Hitchcock’s “Suspicion”. In a key scene in the film, Cary Grant’s character brings his screen-wife a glass of milk that may or may not be poisoned. It’s an infamous scene since the glass of milk seems to positively glow as he brings it up the staircase to his wife.

Click here for a visual reminder of the infamous glass of milk.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Regarding Marilyn Manson and strawberry shortcake...

-On Marilyn Manson's EP "Smells like Children", they did a cover of the Eurythmics "Sweet Dreams".

-The cartoon character Strawberry Shortcake starred in a recently released movie entitled "The Sweet Dreams Movie".

As for the solution of John Dillinger and a glass of milk (that I posted last week)...

-John Dillinger was shot coming out of a Chicago movie theater.

-The movie he had seen was “Manhattan Melodrama”.

-“Manhattan Melodrama”, besides starring Clark Gable, also featured William Powell and Myrna Loy.

-William Powell and Myrna Loy starred as Nick & Nora Charles in a series of “Thin Man” films.

-In the films, Nick & Nora had a dog named Asta.

-The dog that played Asta also played the dog in “Bringing Up Baby” starring Cary Grant & Katherine Hepburn.

-Cary Grant starred in Alfred Hitchcock’s “Suspicion”.  In a key scene in the film, Cary Grant’s character brings his screen-wife a glass of milk that may or may not be poisoned. It’s an infamous scene since the glass of milk seems to positively glow as he brings it up the staircase to his wife.

Click here for a visual reminder of the infamous glass of milk.

Thank you Toliver. That has honestly been on my mind for a few days now! Glad to be put out of my misery, and clever clue.

Afternoon update. We are at:

Still in Play:

Virginia Woolf and He Cai Dai Mao

Paul McCartney and Crawfish

Paul Whiteman and Ramen Noodles

Saddam Hussein and chicharrones

Can you do these in 3 or less degrees?

Sun Tzu and Hansen's Diet Black Cherry Soda

Haile Selassie and Vienna Sausages

2) 6 steps?

If it's solved in 4-5 or 7 or more steps, no points.  For example, I'd say zero points for my Howard Roark and Chilean Sea Bass solution as it stands.

Criteria?  It's going to be subjective.  However, I'd say a good solution that involves more than 2 steps is one in which all steps in between 1 & the solution are critical to reaching the solution.

So, #2 in a 3-step response has to be there to make sense.  Numbers 2, 3, 4 & 5 MUST be in the submitted sequence AND essential to the link made in #6 to award those points.

This way, people who enjoy quickies can submit quickies and those who prefer a circuitous route can have the pleasure of doing things their way, too. :smile:

4) Every topic submitted MUST be based on a legitimate connection.  Ideally, the author of that topic reached the solution IN SEVERAL STEPS, the more, the merrier.  That way, the challenge might prove greater and sustain interest.

Good Ideas Pontormo, consider it done.

Keeping track of who has to give up their points to someone else has been tricky –especially when there may be days between responses on the same challenge, so I propose the clever 2-3 stepper and the 6 stepper both get points. I think this is fair because, as described by Pontormo, they both have the potential to provide good answers, only the style is different.

Keeping track of which are moved from 6 pointers to 2-3 pointers is also tricky (as I think Anne has found too) – so be patient with us and let us know if we miss something here please! The medical students' academic year is about to start, so I am going to be a bit rushed for the next few weeks.

This is where we are at:

Still in Play

Saddam Hussein and chicharrones

Paul McCartney and Crawfish

Can you do these in 3 or less degrees?

Haile Selassie and Vienna Sausages

Ray Charles and Gefilte Fish

Current top scorers are:

Insomniac 44

annecross 37

Pontormo 22

And what happened to you, Daniel?

We need some new contestants to de-lurk. Maybe we should call a re-start to the points, now that everyone has had chance to practice. That might encourage a few to come out from hiding and join in.

What do you all think?

Happy Feasting

Janet (a.k.a The Old Foodie)

My Blog "The Old Foodie" gives you a short food history story each weekday day, always with a historic recipe, and sometimes a historic menu.

My email address is: theoldfoodie@fastmail.fm

Anything is bearable if you can make a story out of it. N. Scott Momaday

I will defer to the majority, especially insomniac and pontermo, who have put a great deal of effort into the game.

By the way, did you see the comet Janet? I am envious of your vantage, and if you haven't stepped outside by tomorrow, I may have to scold!

:biggrin:

I'm happy with a restart but alas must work this week so will be erratic in my musings.

Actually, except for about 3 or 4 most of my replies were sort of gut instinct/off the top of my head otherwise I don't seem to do so well.

Luckily I have been alive for a long time and have a garbage collection type brain :raz:

Love the intricacy of some of the solutions, alas not mine

I'm happy with a restart but alas must work this week so will be erratic in my musings.

Actually, except for about 3 or 4  most of my replies were sort of gut instinct/off the top of my head otherwise I don't seem to do so well.

Luckily I have been alive for a long time and have a garbage collection type brain :raz:

Love the intricacy of some of the solutions, alas not mine

Oh, I understand. It is the ones that I can pull out when reading that are the most interesting to me.

Considering your solutions, I think your brain is very intricate!

:biggrin:

Fun!

Toulouse Lautrec and Peanut Butter -

I don't like my solution (it's not clean and easy) but here's what I came up with:

-In John Houston's "Moulin Rouge", Toulouse Lautrec was played by José Ferrer.

-José Ferrer performed in the 1982 television variety show called "Night of 100 Stars" which, according to www.imdb.com, was an "All-star variety special celebrating the centennial of the Actors' Fund of America". Mary Martin was another performer who appeared in the program.

-Mary Martin is well known for her portrayal of "Peter Pan" on Broadway.

-Peter Pan is a famous brand of peanut butter.

I would love to see the original answer!

And since I already suggested the John Dillinger & a glass of milk puzzle, I won't include another puzzle here.

Tim Oliver

Toulouse Lautrec and Peanut Butter -

I don't like my solution (it's not clean and easy) but here's what I came up with:

-In John Houston's "Moulin Rouge", Toulouse Lautrec was played by José Ferrer.

-José Ferrer performed in the 1982 television variety show called "Night of 100 Stars" which, according to www.imdb.com, was an "All-star variety special celebrating the centennial of the Actors' Fund of America". Mary Martin was another performer who appeared in the program.

-Mary Martin is well known for her portrayal of "Peter Pan" on Broadway.

-Peter Pan is a famous brand of peanut butter.

I would love to see the original answer!

And since I already suggested the John Dillinger & a glass of milk puzzle, I won't include another puzzle here.

Honestly, nothing was in mind. I was curious to see how someone could put the two together! I thought it would be challenging. You accomplished it.

Now, jump right in with a suggestion, and you do not have to know the answer to propose one.

Fun.

Edited by annecros (log)

-Paul Whiteman and his band first became popular in San Francisco before moving to New York.

-San Francisco has a large Chinese community.

-Ramen Noodles originated in China though it's now considered a Japanese dish.

Tim Oliver

-Paul Whiteman and his band first became popular in San Francisco before moving to New York.

-San Francisco has a large Chinese community.

-Ramen Noodles originated in China though it's now considered a Japanese dish.

I was hoping to somehow connect Whiteman to pastafarianism :biggrin:

Martin Mallet

<i>Poor but not starving student</i>

www.malletoyster.com

Paul McCartney played a benifit concert for Victims of Hurricane Katrina

Hurricane Katrina devastated the coast of Louisiana

98% of all Crawfish Harvested in the US comes from Louisiana

Tom Hanks and Meyer Lemon

Saddam Hussein and chicharrones:

When American troops caught up with Hussein, he was cooped up like a chicken, only in a hole

In Puerto Rico and the Philippines, there are varieties of chicharrones made with chicken

Harry S Truman and conch

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Good Evening/Morning everyone.

A bit quieter on the front lines I see, which is kindly as I have had a busy day and this screen is looking tiredly back at me.

In Play:

Tom Hanks and Meyer Lemon

Harry S Truman and conch

Mark Wahlberg and Shallots

Can you do these in 2 or 3 degrees?

I look forward to seeing what fun you have while I sleep.

Janet.

edited to add - we are short of a challenge, someone please volunteer one - I nominate one of you lurking out there.

Edited by The Old Foodie (log)

Happy Feasting

Janet (a.k.a The Old Foodie)

My Blog "The Old Foodie" gives you a short food history story each weekday day, always with a historic recipe, and sometimes a historic menu.

My email address is: theoldfoodie@fastmail.fm

Anything is bearable if you can make a story out of it. N. Scott Momaday