• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Six Degrees of Separation Game.

Good morning, and Henry, we are not worthy - and insomniac, I too started the Steve Irwin puzzle and got uncomfortable. I guess it is too soon.

In Play:

Haile Selassie (Ras Tafari) and gravlax

Barry Humphries and pheasant

Kevin Pieterson and rabbit

John D. Rockefeller and roast pig

Art Buchwald (RIP) and Spumoni

Jacques Derrida and Whatchamacallit

direct descendants of Haile Selassi live in Fairbanks, Alaska (so far from home :sad: )

Alaska is the home of amazing salmon, (not that fish farmed crap :angry:)

got to have salmon to make gravlax

Spike Milligan and lamingtons

I posted the Steve Irwin and tacos game.

The answer is that Steve Irwin's wife is from Eugene, Oregon where Taco Time fast food was launched.

It wasn't meant to disrespect him at all.

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

I posted the Steve Irwin and tacos game.

The answer is that Steve Irwin's wife is from Eugene, Oregon where Taco Time fast food was launched.

It wasn't meant to disrespect him at all.

Oh, it was just me. I'm still a bit sad for him and his family. I forgot that his wife was American, and that would have been an easy connection.

We had a local man down here who survived a situation almost identical to Irwin's less than a month later. It spooked me, because I cannot tell you how many times I have snorkled above and around and about rays down here. They are much more common on the beach than people would believe, and I always thought of them as lovely and gentle.

Edited by annecros (log)

Jacques Derrida, the deconstructionist philosopher is reported to have famously said of himself, 'I'm only as finite as my last sentence, no not that last one, this last one, no the previously aforementioned...err...bollocks'

Green Gartside of the Welsh band Scritti Politti wrote a song called Jacques Derrida

and then moved to New York where the Hershey Tower sticks out like dog's bollocks,

and who manufacture the aforementioned whatchamacallit bar (excuse grammar)

Jade Goody and papadoms

Edited by insomniac (log)

Kevin Pietersen and rabbit.

1) Kevin Pietersen plays cricket for England and the Hampshire County cricket club.

2) George Bernard Shaw wrote a play called Pygmalion, in which the character of Eliza Doolittle is taught to pronounce her H’s by repeating the phrase, “in Hertford, Hereford and Hampshire, hurricanes hardly ever happen.”

3) Although Shaw was a vegetarian, he oftentimes visited those who were not, and once, on the Riviera, he was the honored guest of Alexander Woollcott. Shaw introduced his wife to another guest there, Harpo Marx, by pulling off Marx’s towel (which he had modestly wrapped about his waist after a round of skinny dipping), revealing all.

4) Marx, who had made a name for himself as the silent brother in the Marx brothers act, was, oddly enough, a member of the famous collection of 1920s New York’s writers and wits, the Algonquin Round Table (which he attributed to his being the only listener amongst a collection of talkers).

5) The Algonquin Round Table were thus named because they congregated at the Algonquin Hotel in the theatre district of Manhattan. The hotel was named after the Algonquin Indians, whose lands ranged wide, but who settled mostly in the province of Quebec.

6) To the west, the Algonquin were neighbored by the Ojibwe tribe (aka the Chippewa), in whose mythology a great rabbit is a deity related to the creation of the world.

Ghenghis Khan and baked Alaska.

Edited by H. du Bois (log)

Superlative deductive powers M. du Bois

we are not worthy

please feel free to rework my feeble Derrida solution. I am sure Henry was expecting at least a nod to Heidegger, dasein or existentialism, but I as usual in my life, I went for the cheap laughs.

Good morning, and once again Henry dazzles.

In Play:

Ghenghis Khan and baked Alaska

John D. Rockefeller and roast pig

Art Buchwald (RIP) and Spumoni

Jade Goody and papadoms

1. John D Rockefeller, Sr., American industrialist and philanthropist, was the father of JDR, Jr.,

2. Together, they formed the Rockefeller Foundation (RF) a large philanthropic organization.

3. Recently, the RF joined forces to fight hunger in Africa with the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation,

4. The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, gave a grant to the Honolulu Public Library.

5. In Honolulu, the luau is a popular and traditional celebratory feast.

6. Roast pig is served at a luau.

Cheers!

Jan

John Cusack and uni

Jan

Seattle, WA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."

--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2

Playing it as it originally lay:

John Cusack and Rupert Everett were in the movie, "My Best Friend's Wedding."

Rupert Everett stars as Sherlock Holmes in the new BBC series.

Sherlock Holmes organized the Baker Street Irregulars, a helpful group of street urchins.

Street Urchin---sea urchin.

ETA: I'm amiss in taking away and not contributing. Gotta stay close to my roots.

Winston Churchill and Collards

Edited by racheld (log)

Art Buchwald famously said of the 18 1/2 minute gap in the Watergate tapes that it was Nixon humming :laugh:

In the mid seventies the Good Humour Co. went thru Ice Cream Gate when the company falsified records and knowingly sold millions of Wildberry Whammy, X-5 Jetstar Grape, Orange Push-Up and Chocolate Fudge Cake cones, bars and other ice cream confections containing far more than the legally allowable quantity of coliform bacteria :wacko:

Spumoni is a type of Italian ice cream

Neil Hamburger and lemon meringue pie

Jane Goody and papadoms

Jade Goody is a British reality television celebrity. As a participant in the 2007 series of Celebrity Big Brother, she was at the centre of bullying and racism against one of her fellow housemates, the Indian actress Shilpa Shetty.

Goody also referred to Shetty as 'Shilpa Poppadom'

Papadoms are a form of Indian tortillas.

Edited by Domestic Goddess (log)

New game: Muhammad Ali and Jamaican patty

Spike Milligan, was an Irish writer, artist, musician, humanitarian and comedian. he was (almost inevitably) noted as an ad-libber. One of Milligan's most famous ad-lib incidents occurred during a visit to Australia in the late 1960s. He was interviewed live-to-air and remained in the studio for the news broadcast that followed (read by Rod McNeil) during which Milligan constantly interjected, adding his own name to news items.

Lamingtons are a popular Australian treat. Lamingtons are sponge cake (or more traditionally, butter cake) cubes, coated in a layer of traditionally chocolate icing then desiccated coconut.

Edited by Domestic Goddess (log)

Scooby Doo is a famous cartoon dog who eats Scooby Snacks

Hash cookies are sometimes called Scooby Snacks

Shaggy: Hey Scoob like its the fuzz man, hide the Scooby Snacks!!!

Scooby: rugh Roh

Batata hara is a spicy potato dish from Lebanon

Lebanon is also famous for its superlative hash, which is grown in the Baalbeck valley

Gidget and roibois tea

Throwing in another game.

Dracula and foie gras

Dracula is supposed to have been modeled after a looney named Vlad the Impaler- he took particular delight in impaling his victims. Go figure.

Minibar features a cube of fois gras terrine impaled on a wooden skewer and swathed in cotton candy (scroll to post #225).

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

direct descendants of Haile Selassi live in Fairbanks, Alaska (so far from home  :sad: )

Alaska is the home of amazing salmon, (not that fish farmed crap :angry:)

got to have salmon to make gravlax

Now that someone's finally answered this one, I'll give you my scenic-route variant, which was why I gave both of Haile Selassie's names:

Before he was crowned emperor of Ethiopia, Haile Selassie was Ras (Prince) Tafari

Followers of the Rastafarian religion worship Haile Selassie as a god (Jah Rastafari)

Smoking marijuana is an important part of Rastafarian religious practice

Salmon is also smoked, and when it is, it is sometimes known as lox

"Lox"--Yiddish for "salmon"--is a cognate of the Swedish word for the fish, "lax"

Gravlax ("buried salmon") is not smoked, but it is marinated--and to make it properly, it should be buried in sand

My short version involved Marcus Samuelsson (Ethiopian by birth and ethnicity, Swedish by adoption and nationality) rather than Alaska.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Hello everyone - a million apologies for my absence - I have been too busy even to drink my quota of cups of tea, never mind enjoy your brilliance.

Another million to you Anne, for keeping score.

I should be back on track in another day or two.

Happy Feasting

Janet (a.k.a The Old Foodie)

My Blog "The Old Foodie" gives you a short food history story each weekday day, always with a historic recipe, and sometimes a historic menu.

My email address is: theoldfoodie@fastmail.fm

Anything is bearable if you can make a story out of it. N. Scott Momaday

Still in Play:

Edith Wharton and fried rice

Gidget and roibois tea

Thanks Doddie and Ann for keeping track. I may find it impossible to catch up the points, but the game must go on. I see from Doddie's list that we seem to have lost one challenge, so I'll add one:

Edith Wharton and fried rice

Gidget and roibois tea

Einstein and Vegemite.

Janet

Happy Feasting

Janet (a.k.a The Old Foodie)

My Blog "The Old Foodie" gives you a short food history story each weekday day, always with a historic recipe, and sometimes a historic menu.

My email address is: theoldfoodie@fastmail.fm

Anything is bearable if you can make a story out of it. N. Scott Momaday