• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Porthos

Porthos

On 5/28/2018 at 7:12 AM, ChocoMom said:

Reading about the requests for certain foods while in nursing homes brought back some funny memories. I never felt guilty-not one little bit -for what I did for my Gran.

Thank you for sharing that story.

My wonderful FIL is in a care facility nearing the end of his earthly journey due to that scourge cancer. He has had a full, rich life and, outside of short-term memory issues, is still mentally engaged in life. My DW and I decided early on when entering this phase of his life with him that he could have anything he wanted to eat, he just needed to eat. He gets 3 well-prepared meals a day where he is. But when we visit him we bring beer and snackage, mostly cookies and such. A few months ago when we arrived for a visit one of the care givers started fussing that we needed to not give him the cookies we had brought because he wouldn't eat his dinner. One of the owners was there and told the caregiver to leave us alone. She understands that an occasional meal of sweets is not going to change his outcome, and it gives him pleasure to have the treats.

Porthos

Porthos

On 5/28/2018 at 7:12 AM, ChocoMom said:

Reading about the requests for certain foods while in nursing homes brought back some funny memories. I never felt guilty-not one little bit -for what I did for my Gran.

Thank you for sharing that story.

My wonderful FIL is in a care facility nearing the end of his earthly journey due that scourge cancer. He has had a full, rich life and, outside of short-term memory issues, is still mentally engaged in life. My DW and I decided early on when entering this phase of his life with him that he could have anything he wanted to eat, he just needed to eat. He gets 3 well-prepared meals a day where he is. But when we visit him we bring beer and snackage, mostly cookies and such. A few months ago when we arrived for a visit one of the care givers started fussing that we needed to not give him the cookies we had brought because he wouldn't eat his dinner. One of the owners was there and told the caregiver to leave us alone. She understands that an occasional meal of sweets is not going to change his outcome, and it gives him pleasure to have the treats.