• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

help close to the nj border....

tommy g

so for a xmas party in 2002 i went to a "house" that basically served anything you could think of. there was no signage on the "house" and you could only get in if you were referred by a previous guest.

the best i can recall it was 2 or 3 exits into pennsylvania off route 78. we took a party bus so i wasnt paying too close of attention. it was maybe 5-10 minutes tops off the highway and they also could provide overnight accomodations.

the girl i was with at the time is not in my life any more and im trying to find out the information on the place....if anything sounds familiar or if you recognize the picture please help.....

DSC00282-vi.jpg

so for a xmas party in 2002 i went to a "house" that basically served anything you could think of (no menu). there was no signage on the "house" and you could only get in if you were referred by a previous guest.

the best i can recall it was 2 or 3 exits into pennsylvania off route 78. we took a party bus so i wasnt paying too close of attention. it was maybe 5-10 minutes tops off the highway and they also could provide overnight accomodations.

the girl i was with at the time is not in my life any more and im trying to find out the information on the place....if anything sounds familiar or if you recognize the picture please help.....

DSC00282-vi.jpg

**Paging KatieLoeb,Please pick up the white courtesy phone**

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Sorry dudes. I got nothin'. I'm not at all familiar with that part of the state.

Sounds like fun. A modern day speakeasy of sorts? Providing accomodations as well, hmm? Perhaps you could constuct a Google search for Inns, catering halls, etc with the name of the town it's in, if you can remember/find out that much info.

It looks like a private residence. Are we certain this was a legal endeavor? :unsure:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

The place might be Cavallo's at 510 S Delaware Ave, Easton, 610-252-2500.

Although I have never been there it has been on my list for many years and I assume that it is still in business.

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well." - Virginia Woolf

I think the place you are referring to is Tara. It is up a hill above Upper Black Eddy PA. It is like eating in the hosts living room and they serve you as if you are their personal guests. The food is Italian. You dont have to know someone to eat there but you have to call ahead for reservations.

**Paging KatieLoeb,Please pick up the white courtesy phone**

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Sorry dudes. I got nothin'. I'm not at all familiar with that part of the state.

Sounds like fun. A modern day speakeasy of sorts? Providing accomodations as well, hmm? Perhaps you could constuct a Google search for Inns, catering halls, etc with the name of the town it's in, if you can remember/find out that much info.

It looks like a private residence. Are we certain this was a legal endeavor? :unsure:

yes def. legit...i have alot more pics and there was a business license on the wall....but damn if woman werent so stubborn and would remain "friendly" after a break up :wub:

friends over on the pa page say it sounds like cavallos in easton...not much on google about it but im almost positive thats it.

if so, i recommend anyone in the area to give it a try.

Edited by tommy g (log)

The place might be Cavallo's at 510 S Delaware Ave, Easton, 610-252-2500.

Although I have never been there it has been on my list for many years and I assume that it is still in business.

this sounds very familair....do you have any info online?

im going to do some research on that name, thank you so much

Amanda Hesser wrote an article about the place in the NYT on November 7, 2001. I still have the article in my file although I have yet to visit there.

There is no menu. You call and come to eat for several hours. The food is chosen by them and they ask you for any dietary restrictions, according to the article.

Now that you have refreshed my memory this spring we will have to call and make reservations to dine there.

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well." - Virginia Woolf

I think the place you are referring to is Tara. It is up a hill above Upper Black Eddy PA.  It is like eating in the hosts living room and they serve you as if you are their personal guests.  The food is Italian.  You dont have to know someone to eat there but you have to call ahead for reservations.

This isn't Tara, I've been there before and it's in a building built in the mid 1800's.

• 3 months later...

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

I googled and found a lengthy discussion of Cavallos on another site. Turns out that Rich Pawlak has eaten there, and I hope he won't mind my repeating his comment: "It's kinda like StudioKutchen to the 4th degree, Italian style." Sounds pretty interesting.