• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sulphite ammonia caramel (E150d)

markk

I bought some imported Sour Cherry juice at my local supermarket - the brand on the juice is BBB and it's imported from Bulgaria, and two of the ingredients are E150d, which is "Sulphite ammonia caramel", and E122, "Azorubine; Carmoisine".

I looked them up and found the descriptions horrifying (at least the word 'sulphite' in the first one anyway), and everything about the second one:

------------------

E150d

Sulphite ammonia caramel

These colourings, which range from dark brown to black, are made by controlled heat treatment of sugar beet or sugar cane (with or without the presence of alkalis or acids) but as it is possible to use sugar from maize starch which may come from a Genetically Modified crop. The caramel group of colours are the most widely used group of colours, comprising some 98% of all colours used.

Between them they can be found in beer, brown bread, buns, chocolate, biscuits, brandy, chocolate flavoured flour based confectionery, coatings, decorations, fillings and toppings, crisps, dessert mixes, doughnuts, fish and shellfish spreads, frozen desserts, glucose tablets, gravy browning, ice cream, jams, milk desserts, pancakes, pickles, sauces and dressings, soft drinks particularly cola drinks, stouts, sweets, vinegar, whisky and wines.

Not recommended for consumption by children.

-------------------

E122,

Azorubine; Carmoisine

A synthetic red azo dye used in foods which must be heat treated after fermentation. Also found in blancmange, marzipan, Swiss roll, jams and preserves, sweets, brown sauce, flavoured yogurts, packet soups, jellies, breadcrumbs and cheesecake mixes.

It appears to cause allergic and/or intolerance reactions, particularly amongst those with an aspirin intolerance. Other reactions can include a rash similar to nettle rash and water retention.

Not recommended for consumption by children.

The Hyperactive Childrens Support Group belive that a link exists between this additive and hyperactive behavioural disorders in children.

Whilst being a commonly used colour in the UK, its use is banned in Japan, Norway, Sweden and the United States.

-------------------

Does anybody know anything about these?

Would you drink this juice?

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

"E122,

Azorubine; Carmoisine" - is this by any chance "red dye #5"?

Sulpher in its own right is nothing to be afraid of. And the quantities of sulphite are probably quite low. Can you taste it in the juice if you take a sip?

Do you ever eat dried fruit ? Its often sulphered.

Perhaps you could look up a few of the coloring agents you do frequently eat, and see how the descriptions compare.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

"E122,

Azorubine; Carmoisine" - is this by any chance "red dye #5"?

Sulpher in its own right is nothing to be afraid of. And the quantities of sulphite are probably quite low. Can you taste it in the juice if you take a sip?

Do you ever eat dried fruit ? Its often sulphered.

Perhaps you could look up a few of the coloring agents you do frequently eat, and see how the descriptions compare.

I don't consume sulphites, for health/medical reasons, and I'm certainly not going to taste it. And no, I don't eat dried fruit that contains sulfites (I do by "unsulphered" dried fruit, though).

And I'm certainly not going to taste anything with that red dye in it either.

These items were only identified by their E numbers on the carton, so I bought it to look them up. Now I'm going to return it to the supermarket.

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

When I re-read my original post and saw that one of these additives is actually banned in the US, I reposted this with a new topic header here:

Banned in the US, on sale at my local supermarket.

(I trust a moderator may remove this thread in favor of he newer one.)

If ya dont eat sulphites, of course you wouldnt drink this juice.

And if its red dye 5, avoid.

Food coloring agents are odd things.

My point was to check if the lanquage on the sulphite is consistent with the language on things you do consume and are comfortable with. People have been quite put off by the MSDSs for water and for NaCl (table salt) (MSDS = manufacturer safety data sheet).

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.