• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Some wine

Florida Jim

1993 Sullivan, Merlot:

Tannic, candied oak juice with VA. Tried on successive nights. Garbage.

About $45 on release; DNPIM.

2005 Domaine Chignard, Fleurie Les Moriers:

Beautiful, authentic Fleurie. Tried on successive nights and its smoother, rounder and more complete on day two. Stunning, stunning juice. Imported by Kermit Lynch and about $21; I bought a lot.

2002 Clos de la Roilette (Coudert), Fleurie:

Hard and miserly on day one but still black fruit tasty. On day two, a strongly flavored, tannic wine that leans toward Fleurie aromas and flavors but gives more than a passing glance to Corton. Interesting, if atypical wine that I will enjoy following for the many years it has left in the cellar. Imported by Louis/Dressner and about $15 on release; I’d certainly buy it again.

2005 Drouhin, Bourgogne Laforet:

Thin Burgundy under screw top; nothing bad about it but nothing to get excited about. Imported by Dreyfus and Ashby and about $10; I won’t buy it again.

And yet . . .

On day three, this gained weight and viscosity and was really very enjoyable. ‘Never a world record but not bad at all. Judgment reservesd.

2002 Dom. les Fines Graves (Janodet) Moulin à Vent:

Oxidized; the first bottle from the case that has had a problem. All the others have been just fine.

2005 Cavalchina, Bardolina:

Plummy, light-weight wine with some structure and lots of up-front fruit. Yummy with pasta with veggies. Imported by Vin Divino, 12.5% alcohol and about $12; I’d buy it again.

2003 Dom. Ogereau, Anjou Villages:

If you want to try Dalla Valle, Maya, for about $16, this is the wine for you. But if you want Anjou, this is crap. Its 14.5% alcohol, huge, tannic but, thankfully, not over oaked; a milk-shake of a wine with all sorts of umph and gusto and power and . . . there is just nothing here that is remotely authentic. Some druggie’s rendition of Anjou. Imported by Jon-David Headrick and about $16; no way I’d ever touch this stuff again.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com

happy holidays jim!

please continue to post your notes here. they are really wonderful to read. i, and i'm sure many here, look forward to them.

ps: sometime this holiday i will give long decanting to the vissoux traditionelle vv beaujolais and post the notes.