• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

West African Food

You should be able to find smoked turkey parts at Giordano's at 9th and Washington, very near you. There are other Italian Market merchants who carry them as well.

As for palm butter, can't help you there. I haven't seen this anywhere close to Center City. My guess is that you might have better luck looking in the vicinity of 47th and Baltimore in University City, where there is a small but visible African immigrant community. As some of these are West African, there's a chance you might find a small grocery store that stocks West African foodstuffs.

Edited to add: And welcome to eGullet, strutter billy! You came to the right place to ask your question. Stick around for the conversations; they're quite stimulating.

Edited by MarketStEl (log)

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Welcome strutter billy! Does your moniker have anything to do with Mummers?? Will you be the second Mummer in our midst? :smile:

Sandy's reply covered pretty much what I would have said. My only other suggestion would be to call and ask to speak to the chef at one of the West Philly African restaurants (Fatou & Fama, Dhalak, Abysinnia) and ask if they knew where to procure the exotic ingredients you seek.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Welcome to eGullet!!

For smoked turkey, I'd second the recommendation of Giordano's, as well as Esposito's on 9th between Washington & Christian and D'Ambrosio Brothers, also on 9th between Washington & Christian.

For salt cod (bacala; stock fish), if you need that, DiBruno's, also on 9th between Washington and Christian.

I know First Oriental Grocery on Washington between 4th and 5th carries Palm sugar and Palm oil, but I've never seen Palm butter.

I was able to find a site listingAfrican local & Mail order / Web markets (here).

The only local markets they list are in Harrisburg and State College, PA. they list 3 in NJ, including one in Newark (Calabash; 45 Edison Place; Newark, NJ 07102; phone (973) 643-7828), where "You can get just about any West African foods ..., including daddawa!"

If you need to go wholesale, there are a number listed in Chicago and NYC, and one in Newark, NJ (Quality African Foods, Inc.).

If you need to go online, you may be interested in one in Lagos (Importers' Cooperative) and one in Ghana (Mensah Alimentari & Farms).

If none of these work ... beats me!!

Regards,

Jason

JasonZ

Philadelphia, PA, USA and Sandwich, Kent, UK

Keep your eyes peeled - we always announce our outings ahead whenever it's a "formal" outing. Pizza might have to wait for warmer weather, but Sandy had been our host-with-the-most for the last few pizza forays.

So what is the theme and costume for this upcoming New Year's?? Should I look forward to seeing you and your cohorts stumbling past my house on the post Broad Street "Two Street Parade"?

We want pictures and commentary! :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Keep your eyes peeled - we always announce our outings ahead whenever it's a "formal" outing.  Pizza might have to wait for warmer weather, but Sandy had been our host-with-the-most for the last few pizza forays.

So what is the theme and costume for this upcoming New Year's??  Should I look forward to seeing you and your cohorts stumbling past my house on the post Broad Street "Two Street Parade"?

Katie, you can check us out at www.blovestrutters.com. We don't do too much stumbling, too many kids in our group.

Anybody have a good recipe for pepper pot?

Keep your eyes peeled - we always announce our outings ahead whenever it's a "formal" outing.  Pizza might have to wait for warmer weather, but Sandy had been our host-with-the-most for the last few pizza forays.

Which reminds me: The "Best of Philly Review Tour" still has some stops left on it. We have Center City west of Broad to cover as well as some more places in West Philly, South Philly, the Northeast and the 'burbs. (It might be instructive to compare Apollo Pizza in its native habitat in Media, for instance, to its city cousin.)

Seconded! (And I wonder if Woody's new owners will continue Bill Wood's tradition of making Mummers welcome on New Year's Day. Not that Woody's attracts drag queens in any significant numbers, but New Year's is somewhat unusual in that it's the only day where, if you walk into Woody's and encounter a man in a dress, he's probably straight.)

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Earlier this year, Philadelphia Weekly ran a story about the Supreme supermarket at 43rd and Walnut. According to the article, this store has a "staggering array of international foods." While I haven't been to this store myself, I bet it would be a good place to look for the foods you mentioned.

Which reminds me: The "Best of Philly Review Tour" still has some stops left on it. We have Center City west of Broad to cover as well as some more places in West Philly, South Philly, the Northeast and the 'burbs. (It might be instructive to compare Apollo Pizza in its native habitat in Media, for instance, to its city cousin.)

Seconded! (And I wonder if Woody's new owners will continue Bill Wood's tradition of making Mummers welcome on New Year's Day. Not that Woody's attracts drag queens in any significant numbers, but New Year's is somewhat unusual in that it's the only day where, if you walk into Woody's and encounter a man in a dress, he's probably straight.)

Sandy,

I went to Swarthmore College, so I've had my fair share of Apollo's pizza.

We will post our pics on our web site, blovestrutters.com. Yes, it seems Mummers have always stopped in Woody's, as far as I know. They knew they were welcome and could use the bathroom. Mostly Comics I would guess. I'm usually very busy, so I don't get to "bar hop" back from City Hall. One of these years...

Billy

Earlier this year, Philadelphia Weekly ran a story about the Supreme supermarket at 43rd and Walnut.  According to the article, this store has a "staggering array of international foods."  While I haven't been to this store myself, I bet it would be a good place to look for the foods you mentioned.

Many thanks to everyone for the suggestions!