• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Beef Temperatures

Norman Walsh

I would like the answer to a query regarding using a Meat Thermometer.

I have just purchased one and noticed the instructions quote 170c for beef.

Surely this must depend on the cut, for instance would it take the same time to reach 170c in a both a sirloin joint and a briscuit joint?

If so, the sirloin would be cooked o/k but the briscuit would not.

Thanks for any information on this.

wallie

Welcome, Norman!

I think it's advisable to ignore the suggested temps for beef on meat thermometers because the temp to which you want to take it depend so much on the cut of beef.

For things like briskets and chuck roasts -- cuts with a lot of connective tissue -- I usually cook them low and slow to about 190F, a point at which all of that connective tissue melts.

But for a steak, tenderloin, etc. -- I like them at about 130F -- nice and rare!

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

I would say that 170 is very high as well and that the temperature recommendations from the FDA may be required for health concerns, but when you go to a restaurant, the actual cooking temps are much lower, and much lower than even Jackal has suggested.

If I was cooking beef, I would cook to the following temps:

rare - 125

medium rare - 127-132

medium - 135-140

medium well - 140-150

well - over 155

One should always be a little more cautious when cooking hamburgers and when ordering them out.

Beef cuts like thick steaks and Prime Rib Roast should not be cooked to the indicated temperatures for doneness but somewhre below depending on your experience. The temperature will continue to rise after being removed from the heat and if you cook to a so-called temperature, the meat will end up overcooked. -Dick