• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Raisin-walnut rolls (not sweet)

wannabechef

I'm on the hunt for the name and/or recipe for these rolls which I imagine must be somewhat traditional - maybe Italian. They are raisin-walnut rolls, but not a sweet, desert-type roll. They're more bread-like. A woman I used to work with years ago used to make them. Then I've seen them in a few bakeries around here several times. They are smallish rolls, with a few walnuts and raisins inside. The dough is somewhat purpleish - maybe from the raisins. They usually have a hefty coating of flour on them.

Does anyone know if this is some kind of classic bread? Is there a name or recipe for this somewhere? With a little bit of butter they make a great breakfast!

Interesting you should ask this; I have a few recipes which may be close to what you are looking for. I have not tried them yet, but have collected them as the idea of a non-sweet walnut or walnut/raisin roll appeals to me also. These recipes are either for walnut or raisin but I'm sure the combination would be good.

To see if there is a traditional Italian recipe like this; a good place to look would be Carol Field's The Italian Baker. A great book, but one which I don't have a copy of yet.

Savory Walnut Rolls by Rick Rodgers. These are French and include walnut oil as an ingredient. click

As soon as my student Bill had his first taste of walnut rolls at the charming restaurant Le Vieux Moulin in Les Eyzies, he said "I have to learn how to make these!" Luckily, they are a part of my repertoire, and we whipped up a batch in the next day's cooking lesson. They are the perfect accompaniment to cheese, although they are also a hit in a bread basket for a special holiday dinner.

Dutch Currant Rolls or Krentenbollen from Nick Malgieri click

Though these rolls are full of currants and raisins, they are not particularly sweet. In Holland they are often used to make cheese sandwiches with aged Gouda.

I love walnut wheat bread with cheese so I can see how these would also be a good cheese accompaniement.

Please report back here if you try them or some other recipe before I do; I'll do the same!

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Thanks for the reply. I actually own the Carol Fields book and that recipe unfortunately isn't in there. The search continues... The annoying thing is that when you search for "raisin walnut rolls" on google for instance, it turns up almost all desert type items. I guess this is more of a raisin bread, but in roll form.

most bakeries make a raisin walnut bread. try the "il fornaio baking book" or nancy silverton's "bread from the la brea bakery" book. any recipe for loaves of bread can be made into rolls. the bread turns purple from the walnut skins.

edited to add: change your google search from rolls to: walnut raisin "bread" recipe, and you should get the results you're looking for.

Edited by alanamoana (log)

European Walnut, Hazelnut and Raisin Rolls click

This recipe is inspired by the little raisin-walnut rolls sold in Parisian boulangeries.  Nourishing, just sweet, and with a bit of  nutty crunch, these rolls are perfect for breakfast or a nice teatime snack.  Bake them for guests that don’t care for sugary pastries.

This reicpe has a combination of whole wheat and regular flour. I'm undecided which one of these recipes to try first...

edited to add: Thank you for reminding me that I wanted to try something like this for awhile! Maybe I'll give them a spin before Christmas and make them at home if they turn out well.

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"