• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

West 54th around 10th and 11th

MJP

I know I asked about this a while back, but we're heading out for a taping of the Colbert Report located at West 54th. Is there anything decent in the area that's not too expensive (>$50 per couple) that we could go to tonight?

One thing we've been dying to try was a meal entirely of appetizers, so anything that's got a good array of first courses would be optimal.

"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside" -Mark Twain

"Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock 'n roll." -Shigeru Miyamoto, creator of The Legend of Zelda, circa 1990

I know I asked about this a while back, but we're heading out for a taping of the Colbert Report located at West 54th.  Is there anything decent in the area that's not too expensive (>$50 per couple) that we could go to tonight? 

One thing we've been dying to try was a meal entirely of appetizers, so anything that's got a good array of first courses would be optimal.

there is a brazilian place I went to after a Daily show once, cant remember the name, I think it was on 6th or 7th.

In terms of a decent/nice place close to your show, I agree with Sneak on Taboon. They bake their bread in a brick oven as your seated and it goes insanely well with the house hummus and other sprds.

10th and 11th aves are more a cheap eats area and can be a bit desolate and seedy in some spots (at night). If you don't mind you might like to try Tulcingo Del Valle. -The well spoken of taco/mexican place on 10th and 47th. (It's very casual and knowing a little spanish helps). I love the tripa and lengua (tongue) soft tacos. The mole is pretty good too. -Many would argue it's as close to authentic Mexican as NYC offers (whatever that means).

For a fusion take (on Mexican), Hells Kitchen continues to do very good business. I haven't been since Sue Torres was cooking but it's full everytime I pass by and the menu is always interesting.

Grand Sichuan as Tommy noted is the best call for Chinese. If you want Thai, many would say Pam Real on 49th btwn 9th/10th ave is one of the best and very authentic.

That wasn't chicken

Re: Taboon, Grand Sichuan, and Whym: are they OK if my girlfriend is in jeans and I'm in work casual? We're looking for a more casual/streetish place.

"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside" -Mark Twain

"Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock 'n roll." -Shigeru Miyamoto, creator of The Legend of Zelda, circa 1990

In terms of a decent/nice place close to your show, . . . .

10th and 11th aves are more a cheap eats area and can be a bit desolate and seedy in some spots (at night). . . .

Just to be clear about the recommendations you're getting, that's why I made the recommendation I did. I assumed you wanted someplace "nice" to go with your friends. Even Grand Sichuan International -- everybody's choice as the best place in the immediate area -- isn't a place for a "nice" night out, if that's what you're looking for.

I guess you have to tell us what you want in that regard.

Sneak: it's just me and my girlfriend. We're not averse to not-nice areas (she goes to school in Newark; this area is paradise by comparison) and we're not big on decor, service, etc. so long as the food's good. I mean, we'd like to not have to wait an hour for the food after we order, but we're not looking for white gloves, cloth napkins, and Jacques-Pierre here. :-p

Sneak: she does :-P

Taboon is closed! We went by it and there was a sign stating that there was a fire and they would be closed for about three weeks. We went to Grand Sichuan and were mighty impressed, though. The crab and pork soup buns weren't the greatest, but we love soup buns so that doesn't hurt in the least. We had prawns in citrus sauce and one of the fresh-killed chicken dishes. Both were insanely delicious. The chicken had some sort of ingredient in it that numbed my tongue. I'd read about stuff like that before; it helps you to sweat more so it's supposed to cool you down. But to me it just felt interesting.

We will be back after the next Daily Show taping!

Good call on avoiding non-Sichuan and non-Hunan. We were just cold and hungry, and being huge xiao long bao fans, we jumped at the chance. Good to have an old favorite, but it was not the greatest ever.

At the risk of devolving this into a Grand Sichuan topic, are there any must-haves that we missed out on and need to get at the next DS/Colbert taping?