• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Flavoring plain soy milk?

hzrt8w

Not sure if I should post this in the China forum or the Drinks forum. Let me try it here first.

I have been drinking plain Soy Milk for years. Lately I have seen a new product: Pandan Flavored Soy Milk. It looks slightly green. I supposed it is soy milk cooked with some pandan leaves. I am not a big fan of pandan flavor so I haven't tried it.

But that pops a question: Have you ever tried to flavor your soy milk? Like blending it with some fresh fruits (e.g. papaya, mango, honey dew, strawberry, etc.). Do you like the result? I am tempted to try mixing something into the otherwise very dull plain soy milk.

Chocolate? Gosh, perhaps not. That would defeat my purpose of drinking plain soy milk.

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

Homemade soy milk is almost always flavoured with pandan leaves here. But we don't blend it, just scratch the leaves, knot it and throw it in to boil together with the milk. So, no green colour. Where does your pandan-flavoured soy milk come from? Is it naturally flavoured or artificially? I'm the only one in my family who likes to drink soy milk unsweetened. There are indeed plenty of ways you can use soy milk, usually as a replacement for milk. I don't think it goes well with citrus or sour fruit, though. It's nice with coffee, and made into an agar-agar dessert.

Edited by Tepee (log)

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

Where does your pandan-flavoured soy milk come from? Is it naturally flavoured or artificially?

Dunno. I have not bought any of them. They are locally made.

I use plain soy milk to make all of my smoothies. I usually add frozen fruit such as blueberries, strawberries or caneberries and a banana. Sometimes I'll a bit of fresh ginger or cinnamon. And since the fruit is plenty sweet for me I don't add sugar or honey. When I had access to fresh bee pollen I'd add a couple tablespoons of that too.

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

Heck, in Japan we have soy milk with...cocoa, coffee, roasted barley, green tea. Black sesame, powder of toasted soybeans (kinako), azuki, combination of toasted grains. And then the fruit ones such as ume (prunus mume), mango etc.

Wow! This is eye-opening! I need to try some. Thank you Helen!