• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

allclad

Denise

I have a temporary job at Williams and Sonoma with a great discount. I am thinking of purchasing an allclad skillet but not sure which line to choose. I am thinking of the stainless or the LTD. I am wondering if the finish on The LTD is more fragile. It appears to be slightly heavier and more expensive. I really would like a demeyere proline skillet but this discount makes me wonder if I could be happy with allclad. I do not own any allclad pans but have Falk, sitram catering, and vollrath(disc) skillet which I hate cleaning the burnt sides. Please offer any advice.

I have a temporary job at Williams and Sonoma with a great discount. I am thinking of purchasing  an allclad skillet but not sure which line to choose. I am thinking of the stainless or the LTD. I am wondering if the finish on The LTD is more fragile. It appears to be slightly heavier and more expensive. I really would like a demeyere proline skillet but this discount makes me wonder if I could be happy with allclad. I do not own any allclad pans but have Falk, sitram catering, and vollrath(disc) skillet which I hate cleaning the burnt sides. Please offer any advice.

Denise,

The LTD is about 35% thicker than the Stainless, that is significant. The LTD may not be washed in a dishwasher, alkaline detergents will remove the anodized finish. You might also want to consider the MC-2, thicker than the stainless and may be washed in the dishwasher - no matter what A-C says.

Tim

Edited by tim (log)

I can't offer any comparative advice, and I think Sam is about to weigh in with more educated info, but I'll go anyway. I have some of the All-Clad stainless line, and I'm very happy I went that way. As I recall the manufacturer recommends against putting the LTD in the dishwasher because it may mar the finish. That was a deal-breaker for me. Although I usually wash my large skillets by hand anyway, I don't want to commit to the basic everyday cookware requiring that level of care. My stainless stuff has all seen the dishwasher at one time or another, and not just to hide until I'm ready to wash it by hand. :rolleyes:

A few more comments about my particular AC pieces: My 3-qt skillet (or is it 4 qts? It's a little over 11" diameter) has done yeoman's work, and I'm glad I got it. The 13" skillet - I think that's a 6-quart skillet - gets some use for larger dinners, but with only 2 of us it's usually overkill. I also bought an All-Clad braiser. It's pretty, and I use it, but I wouldn't get it again now that I know what I know about braising. It just doesn't have the mass to be a good braiser. It looks great hanging on our walls, makes a good serving piece, and has its uses in the kitchen - but braising isn't one of them.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

As a user of both AllClad Stainless and Demeyere, I recommend them both without hesitation. I probably use the 12" Sautee pan from AllClad more than any other pan I own (including my cast iron). Also, I recently had a small problem with one of my pans and AllClad had a replacement shipped to me in Europe within a week. From Cannonsburg. That's customer service for ya.

AllClad stainless. Great stuff (although my demeyere sauciers are also really, REALLY nice). Do what I did, buy both ;)

I've been using All Clad for years, but some of my pieces were non-stick and I wanted to replace them with conventional pans. I chose a brand called Cuisinox (Elite line), which is an All Clad look-alike at a fraction of the price. It's triple-ply bottom and sides, heavy, looks great, and I think the heat distribution is more even in the Cuisinox than in my All Clad. Check them out at http://www.cuisinox.com/categories.php?lang=en&category_id=2

My favourite pan is my covered saute pan, as well. It's got a capacity of 5.3 litres/quarts.

A note to Canadian readers: Cuisinox is based in Quebec, so check out their products before paying more than twice as much for All Clad or the like. I purchased mine at Nella Restaurant Supply on Queen East.

Edited by FlavoursGal (log)

I've been using All Clad for years, but some of my pieces were non-stick and I wanted to replace them with conventional pans.  I chose a brand called Cuisinox (Elite line), which is an All Clad look-alike at a fraction of the price.  It's triple-ply bottom and sides, heavy, looks great, and I think the heat distribution is more even in the Cuisinox than in my All Clad.  Check them out at http://www.cuisinox.com/categories.php?lang=en&category_id=2

My favourite pan is my covered saute pan, as well.  It's got a capacity of 5.3 litres/quarts.

A note to Canadian readers:  Cuisinox is based in Quebec, so check out their products before paying more than twice as much for All Clad or the like.  I purchased mine at Nella Restaurant Supply on Queen East.

Also a happy Cuisinox owner as I don't have the funds for all clad. Great pan purchased at Ma Cuisine in Ottawa (and they can be ordered through CA Paradis as well).

I've been using All Clad for years, but some of my pieces were non-stick and I wanted to replace them with conventional pans.  I chose a brand called Cuisinox (Elite line), which is an All Clad look-alike at a fraction of the price.  It's triple-ply bottom and sides, heavy, looks great, and I think the heat distribution is more even in the Cuisinox than in my All Clad.  Check them out at http://www.cuisinox.com/categories.php?lang=en&category_id=2

My favourite pan is my covered saute pan, as well.  It's got a capacity of 5.3 litres/quarts.

A note to Canadian readers:  Cuisinox is based in Quebec, so check out their products before paying more than twice as much for All Clad or the like.  I purchased mine at Nella Restaurant Supply on Queen East.

The Cuisinox may be a fraction of the price of All-Clad in Canada but the opposite is true in the US. The 10" Cuisinox skillet is $112 while the All-Clad Stainless lists for $100 but is available through Cookwarenmore.com for $68.

Tim

Denise, a two questions. . .

1. Without wanting to invade your privacy, I'm wondering just how deep this discount is. I ask for an important reason: All-Clad is egregiously overpriced at retail, and Williams-Sonoma typically charges full retail price. For example, a 12" All-Clad Stainless fry pan at Williams-Sonoma will run you 125 bucks. The same pan as a "second" at Cookware and More will run you 85 bucks. That's a 32% reduction in price. Can your discount beat 32%?

2. Why do you want this frypan? What do you want to use it for?

--

The discount is more. The pan you mentioned costs $75. I have a vollrath disc skillet,and several older cuisinarts with copper discs(about 20 years). I just get annoyed when sauteing mushrooms to have to scrub the sides and adjust the heat not to burn the sides. The food can take the heat but you have to scrub the sides whereas the bottom just washes easily. I am not turn the heat up too high it is just the nature of disc skillets. I really wanted a demeyere proline but the discount is hard to pass on allclad even though I don't own one piece. I do have a Falk frypan but it is just to hard to shake.

The Cuisinox may be a fraction of the price of All-Clad in Canada but the opposite is true in the US. The 10" Cuisinox skillet is $112 while the All-Clad Stainless lists for $100 but is available through Cookwarenmore.com for $68.

Tim

Interesting...I'd been wondering about that when I wrote this post. Just a side note, however - did you get the Cuisinox price from their website? If so, the list price is probably in Canadian funds. Probably still not worth your while, though.

I have the stainless steel copper core frying pan and I love it. While I wouldn't necessarily get copper core sauce pans, Unless you're making sauces, I would get more frying pans and saute pans. I was really pleased with the heat distribution and retention when using this pan to sear steaks a couple of weeks ago.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Do find you need to polish the little band of copper. I notice most of my copper cookware primarily discolors at the heat source. They are a hefty, pretty pan. I was impressed with their weight compared to the stainless line. They also added pouring edges.

Edited by Denise (log)

I haven't had to polish yet, but at some point probably will. Then again, I'm fairly anal about keeping my stainless steel pots shiny and clean. :biggrin: I use barkeepers friend on it and it seems to be fine.

Marlene

I haven't had to polish yet, but at some point probably will.  Then again, I'm fairly anal about keeping my stainless steel pots shiny and clean. :biggrin:  I use barkeepers friend on it and it seems to be fine.

I'm very interested in this line. You haven't by chance run your piece through the dishwasher, have you? I know that All-Clad says not to ("dishwasher use will deteriorate the exterior beauty of you pan"), and I assume that's just so the copper band won't discolor too much. Even though I usually hand wash my pans, I'd rather avoid lines that can't go in the dishwasher at all.

I'm tired of my Sitram Profiserie pans. I just don't like the disc bottoms.

No I haven't, but then, I don't put my all clad non stick pans in the dishwasher either. Since I only have once piece of this line so far, it hasn't been an issue, but the pan has also cleaned up very easily by hand.

Marlene

I have several pieces of All-Clad both stainless and Cop-R-Core. In the latter I have an 8 inch frypan and a 12 inch frypan and a 4-quart saucepan. In the stainless I have the 10 inch frypan a 14 inch frypan that I don't think I have ever used, also 1, 2 and 3 quart sauce pans. In addition I have a 3 quart covered cassoulet and the small roasting pan.

All except the roasting pan were gifts received over many years. None are the non-stick type, all are stainless inside and out.

I also have one Cop-R-Chef sauce pan that has never been out of its box.

I like the stainless because it cleans up easily and it has gone through the dishwasher many times. It rarely is left inside the dishwasher so I haven't had any problem with water spots.

How is the discount on Le Cruset?

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

All of my regular All Clad stainless steel pots, pans and roasting pans go through the dishwasher. They've always been fine.

Marlene

I have 3 lovely allclad LTD pots that I picked up for $10 each at a clearance outlet. A nice big saute pan, an 8 quart stock pot and a 10 inch frying pan.

I just want to thank the person who put them in the dishwasher and took the finish off them in the first place so I could pick them up so reasonably. Given the destroyed finish, I have no qualms about putting them in the dishwasher myself. I actually think they must have taken some sort of abrasive to them, because my other LTD pots that I have put through the dishwasher never showed any sort of similar damage.

When I started this post my main interest was fully cladded frypans. I really would like to have the demeyere proline which is 4.8mm of aluminum and no rivets. A 11" demeyere pan costs $180. I can get the 12" stainless all-clad for $75 or the Copper core for $120. I have a Falk culinair fry pan 2.3mm of copper which is just too heavy to try and shake when sauteing mushrooms etc. I have disc frypans( vollrath, sitram catering) which end up with burnt material on the sides of the pan. I presently do not own one piece of all-clad. I am trying to figure out which line would be best and easiest to clean. I first only considered the all stainless but now after hearing positive remarks about the copper core I am not sure.

The discount is more. The pan you mentioned costs $75. . . . I do have a Falk frypan but it is just to hard to shake.

Is the Falk pan hard to shake when it's empty? If you can move the Falk frypan well when it's empty but are having difficulty shaking it fully loaded, it's not clear that you won't have just as much trouble with a fully loaded All-Clad frypan. Also, if you're finding that the Falk frypan is too heavy for your use and are more-or-less seeking to "trade it in" for a lighter All-Clad frypan (which is to say that All-Clad will become your primary frypan) one way to defray the cost of the All-Clad pan would be to sell the Falk pan. You could probably get 75 bucks for it, and then the All-Clad pan would be free.

I'm tired of my Sitram Profiserie pans. I just don't like the disc bottoms.

Disk bottoms work great in certain contexts. I would not recommend a disk-bottom frypan, or a disk bottom pan that is too close in diameter to the size of the burner flame. For things like large saute pans, tall sauce pans and stockpots, however, I think it's a great design.

I have several pieces of All-Clad both stainless and Cop-R-Core.

I'm not quite sure which line you're talking about here. All-Clad has the "Copper Core" line, which has an internal thermal layer of copper fully clad in stainless steel. It also has the "Cop-R-Chef" line, which has an internal thermal layer of aluminum, an internal cladding of stainless steel and an external cladding of copper. The Cop-R-Chef line does not benefit from any of the thermal properties of copper, as the external "display layer" of copper is too thin to meaningfully impact the overall performance of the pan.

When I started this post my main interest was fully cladded frypans. I really would like to have the demeyere proline which is 4.8mm of aluminum and no rivets.

There is some talk that All-Clad has reduced the thickness on their cookware, but the last time I got data from them they said the aluminum layer on the MasterChef line was 3.9 mm. I bring this up because it's a mistake to think that Demeyere's aluminum layer is 4.8 mm. That's the total thickness of their "seven layer" design. If we assume that the non-aluminum layers are comparable in thickness to the 0.44 mm cladding All-Clad uses (and there's no reason to suppose they are not), then the thermal layer in the Demeyere "seven layer" pans is approximately the same. On the other hand, this is certainly thicker than the aluminum layer employed in All-Clad Stainless.

A 11" demeyere pan costs $180. I can get the 12" stainless all-clad for $75 or the Copper core for $120. I have a Falk culinair fry pan 2.3mm of copper which is just too heavy to try and shake when sauteing mushrooms etc. ...  I am trying to figure out which line would be best and easiest to clean. I first only considered the all stainless but now after hearing positive remarks about the copper core I am not sure.

A few things: First, if the Falk pan is too heavy for you, you should make sure you won't have the same problem with All-Clad Copper Core before spending the money. Also, try out the handles on the All-Clad pans. Many people (myself included) find them awkward for tossing the pan. You might consider bringing something to the store (marbles or whatever) to simulate the approximate weight and volume of whatever you might want to toss around in the skillet and try out the various ones you are considering. Also, given what it sounds like you want to use the pan for, and your discount, I don't see why you'd want to spend any more than the 75 bucks.

--

Just to speak to the handles on the All Clad line. The handles on the regular stainless steel line are kind of a pain. Part of the reason I like the copper core frying pan and other copper core pans is that All Clad has put a "finger lip, up under the handle close to the pan itself. The handles are also slightly wider and flatter than the rest of their lines.I find this helps a lot with the grip.

Edited by Marlene (log)

Marlene

They make them that way because they are good at staying "touchably cool" while the pan is on the stovetop. Very few home cooks actually move their fully loaded pans in the air while cooking, so tha ability to grab a handle without using a towel or hot pad rated higher than ergonomics for tossing/flipping.

They also look cool, which is important to All-Clad considering that they probably do 90% of their business on looks and marketing.

The handles as designed are also quite light in weight. This is important for a two reasons: First, as is demonstrated in many eG Forums discussions on cookware, many home cooks don't have sufficient arm strength to lift heavier cookware. Second, since the body of the pan is made of lightweight aluminum, the handle has to be fairly lightweight in order to balance properly.

Finally, solid handles such as those employed by Falk, Mauviel, et al. are considerably more costly from a materials standpoint.

--