• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Four more

Florida Jim

2005 Giacosa, Roero Arneis:

Sappy, slightly resinous white wine with good acidity, a fine texture and lots of persistence. Especially good with Diane’s white chili soup. Imported by Locascio and about $20; I’d buy it again.

2004 Dom. La Garrigue, Vacqueyras:

Salty and meaty on the nose; full bodied and savory in the mouth without great weight and a balanced, medium length finish. It may be 80% grenache and 14% alcohol but it doesn’t taste it – and for me, that’s a good thing. Imported by Eric Solomon and about $15; I’d buy it again.

1996 Dunham, Cabernet Sauvignon II:

The nose is the aromatic embodiment of the concept ‘clear-cut;’ ultra-pasteurized, confected, oak syrup in the mouth with the unrelenting taste of wood sap on the palate that makes one want to spit. DNPIM. About $50 on release: I wouldn’t pay 1/5,000th of that for it.

1999 Giacosa, Barolo Falletto:

The antidote for the preceding beverage and if any bottle of fermented grape juice can be worth $90 (and I’d argue against that), this is the one. Perfect balance, class, immense concentration without being extractive, a ripe and substantial structure, and a plethora of nebbiolo flavors and scents that are so harmonious that this wine geek can only be humbly grateful for such miracles. Has decades of life in the cellar but is sensational now. Imported by Locascio and, if I had the money, I’d buy it again.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com