• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Presenting Cooked Skate Wing

thecuriousone

Hi All-

I cooked a skate wing last weekend. It was cooked in the oven and finished with a warm vinagrette of brown butter, sherry vinegar and pinch of smoked spanish paprika. It was great, but I was unclear how to serve it. I seasoned it with the skin on and peeled the skin off before I presented it. I would have liked to have deboned it before I served it but didnt know how. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

It tasted great, but I can't snatch the bones off my guests plates like I did my husbands.

My preferred method for cooking skate is pan-fried in a bit of butter and olive oil. Next time, remove the skin before cooking, so you have a beautiful golden brown portion of skate to present at the table, but do leave the cartilage (it's not a bone) in; the flesh comes off so easily, anyway. I can't figure out why restaurants in North America tend to serve skate already filleted.

Your sauce sounds interesting, but the classic sauce for skate is "beurre noisette" or "hazelnut"/brown butter. Add a few sage leaves to the butter once it's turned brown and you've turned off the heat. Heavenly!

Edited by FlavoursGal (log)