• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Braising Turkey Legs

robyn

I'm having a small Thanksgiving this year (3-4 people) and only 1 prefers white meat. Also - the thing I hate most about the meal is dealing with the mess of carving a whole turkey right before the meal. So I thought I'd roast a small breast - and make some legs separately. I had a braised turkey leg in a restaurant today - and it was fabulous. I looked on line - and found a couple of recipes. But I wondered if anyone here has ever braised turkey legs before - and whether you have any suggestions to maximize the chances of a good result. Robyn

For Christmas, a couple years ago, I made capon legs, deboned and stuffed with walnuts, pork mince, soaked and dried stale bread, salt and some herbs (I should write down things that come out particularly good...). Served with balsamic glazed cipolline. It was very good and if it presented very well.

My grandmother, instead, used to cut a pocket in the turkey breast and stuff with a mixed of breadcrumbs, eggs, grated parmigiano, nutmeg, salt some ham and whole boiled eggs, browned, deglazed with white wine, add sage and little stock at the time and braised on the stove.

You might want to do thighs instead of legs, but if you do legs, be sure and cut either that nob at the bottom of the leg off, or several all of the tendons -- the leg will cook more evenly and not be as stringy. (I'm just curious about your choice of thighs.)

The reason I mention thighs is that Molly Stevens "All About Braising" book has a couple of braised turkey thigh recipes -- one with onions and apples, and one with onions and butternut squash, but I would think you could use almost any poultry or pork braising recipe with turkey!

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

• 2 weeks later...
You might want to do thighs instead of legs, but if you do legs, be sure and cut either that nob at the bottom of the leg off, or several all of the tendons -- the leg will cook more evenly and not be as stringy.  (I'm just curious about your choice of thighs.)

The reason I mention thighs is that Molly Stevens "All About Braising" book has a couple of braised turkey thigh recipes -- one with onions and apples, and one with onions and butternut squash, but I would think you could use almost any poultry or pork braising recipe with turkey!

The legs I have are pretty small - so I don't think I'll have problems with the tendons (which you usually find on really large legs).

Reason I chose legs is I have had 2 fabulous turkey legs in the last couple of weeks - one BBQ'd at the Gainesville Art Festival (street food) and the other braised at Piccadilly (southern cafeteria chain). And I'm not really fond of thigh meat - on most turkeys - it's kind of greasy (at least when you cook the bird whole).

Besides - I've found a handful of recipes for "turkey two ways" - and they all call for breast meat and leg meat. What I wind up cooking Thursday will probably be a combination of the recipes I found. Robyn