• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Garden of Eden Gourmet Markets

markk

Are any of you New Yorkers familiar with Garden of Eden Gourmet Markets?

There's one about to open in Hoboken NJ and I'm curious what people think about it.

(I didn't start this thread in NJ, because this will be their first NJ store, so I don't think anybody can be familiar with it.)

Are they any good?

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

I shop at the one on 23rd St fairly often. They're on a par with Balducci's and Westside Market; same stuff, similar prices, nice people. I admit I don't go out of my way to shop there because I live sort of in the center of there and the other two stores I mentioned so it really depends on just where I happen to be.

One minus is that they don't carry Sullivan St. or Tom Cat bread, I can get much better ciabattas at the other two stores.

the yusually have a very good selection of mushrooms, but you must have a good eye as some are not always at the peak of freshness. Actually, this goes for all their produce. The also carry lots of mini things which are cute for entertaining (mini cor, mini aspagus etc) They always sseem to have that one thing I can't find anywhere else...

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.

Just wanted to second what others have said - they carry a much larger selection of everything than lots of other places, despite the small size of the stores (in NYC, anyway). The quality of the fruit is also usually very, very good compared to most places. The cheese counter is also pretty good (it's no Murray's, obviously) but we've always found the meat/fish to be a little lacking.

I want pancakes! God, do you people understand every language except English? Yo quiero pancakes! Donnez moi pancakes! Click click bloody click pancakes!