• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

Some more recent history.

Here is a selection of sandwiches in an unknown London sandwich bar in 1972.

Evy6WOKXMAMLLIS.thumb.jpg.38fb31b5ea377ca350c08fca40f45f44.jpg

First thing I notice is the prices - from 10 pence to 15 pence! Then the obvious shortfall in the hygiene department. Sandwiches piled on top of each other with no coverings.

Then the ingredients. Some standards - unidentified cheese (probably mousetrap!), egg, chicken, ham. I remember liver sausage with great affection. Pressed veal surprised me. The bread looks like supermarket, sliced, Chorleywood processed blotting paper.

sw.thumb.jpg.9154db1d79ebd6b9d359df4d5a88daed.jpg

Moving on, I searched out a random menu (part of it above*) from a similar sandwich bar in London today. Prices have obviously risen astronomically. from around 10 pence to between £1.90 and £3.60. Hygiene regulations have improved and all sandwiches are now individually wrappped - unfortunately, usually in plastic.

But the biggest difference is in the ingredients. No longer anonymous 'bread' but a choice of focaccia, baps, baguettes or ciabatta. The cheese is no longer anonymous or singular; we have Emmental, cream cheese, brie, mozzarella beside the cheddar.

Other fillings unknown in the 1970s appear: Thai chicken, chicken tikka, tuna, prawns, smoked salmon, and of course, avocado.

I won't be here in another 50 years but I'd bet that the changes by then will be even more astounding.

* The full modern menu is here.

liuzhou

liuzhou

First thing I notice is the prices - from 10 pence to 15 pence! Then the obvious shortfall in the hygiene department. Sandwiches piled on top of each other with no coverings.

Then the ingredients. Some standards - unidentified cheese (probably mousetrap!), egg, chicken, ham. I remember liver sausage with great affection. Pressed veal surprised me. The bread looks like supermarket, sliced, Chorleywood processed blotting paper.

Moving on, I searched out a random menu (part of it above*) from a similar sandwich bar in London today. Prices have obviously risen astronomically. from around 10 pence to between £1.90 and £3.60. Hygiene regulations have improved and all sandwiches are now individually wrappped - unfortunately, usually in plastic.

But the biggest difference is in the ingredients. No longer anonymous 'bread' but a choice of focaccia, baps, baguettes or ciabatta. The cheese is no longer anonymous or singular; we have Emmental, cream cheese, brie, mozzarella beside the cheddar.

Other fillings unknown in the 1970s appear: Thai chicken, chicken tikka, tuna, prawns, smoked salmon, and of course, avocado.

I won't be here in another 50 years but I'd bet that the changes by then will be even more astounding.

sw.jpg

liuzhou

liuzhou

But the biggest difference is in theingredients. No longer anonymous 'bread' but a choice of focaccia, baps, baguettes or ciabatta. The cheese is no longer anonymous or singular; we have Emmental, cream cheese, brie, mozzarella beside the cheddar.

sw.jpg

liuzhou

liuzhou

Here is a selection of sandwiches in a London sandwich bar in 1972.

Then the ingredients. Some standards - unidentified cheese (probably mousetrap!), egg, chicken, ham. I remember liver sausage with great affection. Pressed veal surprised me. The bread looks like supermarket, sliced Chorleywood processed blotting paper.

sw.thumb.jpg.9154db1d79ebd6b9d359df4d5a88daed.jpg

Moving on, I searched out a random menu (part of it above) from a similar sandwich bar in London today. Prices have obviously risen astronomically. from around 10 pence to between £1.90 and £3.60. Hygiene regulations have improved and all sandwiches are now individually wrappped - unfortunately, usually in plastic.

But the biggest difference is in theingredients. No longer anonymous 'bread' but a choice of focaccia, baps, baguettes or ciabatta. The cheese is no longer anonymous or singular; we have Emmental, cream cheese, brie, mozzarella beside the cheddar.