• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Homemade Amaretto

maxmillan

The site worked for me. Looks like it uses Macromedia Flash 8. That may be your issue.

I don't want to violate any licensing stuff, but it looks like a lot of sugar, some water, corn syrup, vodka, and almond and vanilla flavorings.

maxmillan, I'm not sure why you'd want to go to all the trouble to make your own amaretto.

First, it's highly unlikely that you could make something as good as what's commercially available.

Second, amaretto isn't that expensive (Amaretto di Saronno, the most expensive, can be found for around 15 bucks for a fifth).

Third, excellent (better, really) brands like Luxardo's Amaretto di Saschira can be had usually at a lower price than Amaretto di Saronno.

Finally, considering that you want to use it for baking, the qualities that distinguish a good amaretto -- either store-bought or homemade -- are likely to be lost. Why not use a cheap amaretto brand at around 6 bucks a liter, or simply use a high quality almond extract?

--