• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Penzey in Chestnut Hill Now

Mottmott

Making a quick zip across Germantown Avenue yesterday after buying my daily bread at Metroplitan Bakery, I spied a little shop near Kitchen Kapers, PENZEY discreetly painted across its facade. I haven't had a chance to go in yet, but I assume that's THE Penzey's Spice store. I wont get a chance to check it out for a couple days, but wanted to let you all know it's there so you dont need to send for your Christmas spices by mail this year. Whoever gets there first, please report!

"Half of cooking is thinking about cooking." ---Michael Roberts

I was there last week and it was great to shop in person, since I think their spices are superior. You can smell all the spices from larger jars, but that wan't as good as I thought. A lot of the blends smelled similar, maybe because they were open longer? I finally got to smell galangal...a little like Vick's Vaporub :blink:! (I'll still try it, of course) Also I tried a small piece of the candied ginger and had to get some too. I'm glad they are here in Philly and I will certainly be getting all my spices there.

Excellent news! I'll have to go check this out on my next day off. I've always loved Penzey's so I look forward to the convenience of immediate gratification. Could be dangerous though. Last time I went through one of their catlogs and checked off everything I wanted it was several hundred dollars worth of stuff. :wacko:

Checked the website for exact address. Seems to be closeby one of my favorite little coffeeshops too - Chestnut Hill Coffee Co. And they're open Sundays! Woo-hoo!

Penzey's

8528 Germantown Ave.

(215) 247-0770

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

yay! i first found penzey's in minneapolis. i used to stock up every year when i went to visit my friend who lived there. then i started buying through the catalogue (which REALLY needs scratch-n-sniff), then they opened one near my cousin in california, whom i visit fairly regularly.

i'm VERY happy to hear there's finally one in pennsylvania ... i can stop traveling so much now! :)

"The perfect lover is one who turns into pizza at 4am."

Charles Pierce

I finally got to smell galangal...a little like Vick's Vaporub  ! (I'll still try it, of course)

Galanga is one of the key backbone ingredients of Thai and Vietnamese cooking.

Unfortunately, Dry or powdered galanga is *not* an acceptable substitute for the fresh roots which you can buy on any day of the week at 12th and washington in south philly.

Rhizomes like galanga are heavily dependent on thier volatile essential oils such that when dries (basically evaporated) what is left is a dying whisper and quite frankly an unpleasant medicinal substitute of the flavors you are trying to introduce into your cooking........thus having no culinary value in authentic south east asian cooking.

It would be like using powdered tomatoes to make marinara sauce.

Do use the fresh stuff, its quite good.

I finally got to smell galangal...a little like Vick's Vaporub  ! (I'll still try it, of course)

Unfortunately, Dry or powdered galanga is *not* an acceptable substitute for the fresh roots which you can buy on any day of the week at 12th and washington in south philly.

Rhizomes like galanga are heavily dependent on thier volatile essential oils such that when dries (basically evaporated) what is left is a dying whisper and quite frankly an unpleasant medicinal substitute of the flavors you are trying to introduce into your cooking........thus having no culinary value in authentic south east asian cooking.

Can you store it the same way you can ginger?

"Half of cooking is thinking about cooking." ---Michael Roberts

I'm waiting for Vadouvan's dinner party.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Can you store it the same way you can ginger?

I dont know how you store ginger but just leave it in the fridge in a ziplock bag, should last well over 3 weeks. I know people who store ginger in sherry in the refrigerator but the point is it no longer tastes or smells like ginger, it sherry marinated ginger.....

Also freezes well indefinitely if vacuum packed.

I shopped at Penzy's first store in Milwaukee, when they did as much trade in tea and coffee as they did in herbs and spices. Even then the aromas were tantalizing ... then came mail-order, then the web ... and in between, I would stop at their Norwalk CT store (on the way to Boston) ...

... wonderful (and dangerous to the wallet) to have a store so close ...

JasonZ

Philadelphia, PA, USA and Sandwich, Kent, UK

• 2 weeks later...

Finally made it up to the Penzey's today whilst running errands on my day off. What a nice shop and the staff is very friendly and helpful. I bought about 6 or 7 small jars of various spice blends and a couple of other things I needed as well as a 4 oz. bag of their Roast Beef seasoning that I just love. Got out of there for less than $20! Miraculous! And I now have a whole bunch of new spice mixes to play with. The Mural of Flavor (a blend of shallots, onion, garlic, thyme, rosemary, basil, coriander, lemon peel, citric acid, black pepper, chives, green peppercorns, dill weed, and orange peel) is delicious on popcorn! :cool:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol