• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Look What Grandma has in her basement!

tim

Hi all,

My son gave me a call last night that sounded like the proverbial Bugatti hidden under a tarp in the corner of the chicken coop.

He went to visit his girlfriend's Grandmother over the weekend and they spend some time cleaning the basement. Grandma said they could take the case of wine home with them and the wines should be OK having been in the cool damp basement for so long.

Back in NYC, where he buys wines for three Italian restaurants, he began to look at the dusty bottles. He called me when he saw the Marc Chagall painting.

1970 Mouton Rothschild

1962 Chateau Margaux

1969 "Le Bernardin" Chateauneuf du Pape

1966 Echezeaux

1967 La Tache

He's sending a nice bouquet to Grandma. He's also going to have to keep that girl and get something her size, maybe her ring size!

Tim

Edit to correct vintages.

Edited by tim (log)

:blink: oh my word....why dont i have luck like that...or a grandma like that...

i hope hes sending her a nice bouquet and not some cheap stuff from jewels..lol

Edited by djsexyb (log)

Grand Cru Productions

Private High End Dinners and Personal Chef Service

in Chicago, Illinois

For more information email me at:

grandcruproductions@hotmail.com

Great luck! Based on experience from my father in law's cellar with wines of similar pedigree and vintage, the Bordeaux should be OK (although elder statesmen), the Burgundy maybe not. In any event, drink up ASAP!

He inspired me to have a wine cellar and also to try not to overbuy. A lot of his wine is past it's prime.

OhMyHolyGrapes, tell him you're coming over with decent glasses, and drink up! Quick! That '70 Rothschild should be opened asap, and YOU need to be there for reporting purposes, if you ask me.

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

Sounds like a great excuse for buying him an expensive decanter some Reidels for the hollidays -- so he'll feel more obligated to share.

FWIW, I still remember a 1970 Mouton as being one of the best wines I ever drank. That was many years ago, so he'll be drinking a very different wine. Maybe his girfriend will be as nice as mine was, and fall asleep on the sofa after her first glass, leaving the rest to me. :wink:

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Charles,

She will be so excited about the bling on her finger, she won't thnk about the wine.

They also have a 1941 Port (Guedes?) that just might be fun.

The best wine I ever tasted was a 1929 Echezeaux at the 1968 Heublein wine auction in Chicago. I can't wait to try the 1966.

Tim

ps: Grandma has a standing order for flowers every Tuesday. The LaTache is going on auction - anything to make that wonderful girl happy.

• 1 year later...
The best wine I ever tasted was a 1929 Echezeaux at the 1968 Heublein wine auction in Chicago.  I can't wait to try the 1966.

Tim

Hi,

My son (actually stepson) visited this weekend and brought out a nice bottle of 1957 DRC Grands Echezeaux. As my wife went to get the Screwpull, Matt asked me to be the best man at his coming wedding. I turned to mush!

The cork pulled in one piece, covered with black mold. The bottle was a inch low and there was good sediment. The wine was beginning to lose color but had held its structure.

It was beautifully balanced and had a wonderfully floral finish, roses came to mind.

My wife called a friend who owns a local wine shop. She told our friend that Matthew had brought a 1957 "something". They raced over to confirm our evaluation.

He has decided not to sell the La Thache or the Chagall adorned Mouton. He now admits to two full cases of various delights.

I cannot wait for his restaurant to open in NYC, his wedding, and hopefully grandchildren. I have a registered bottle of Manicardi aceto balsamico tradizionale di modena antico condimento. I may just have to open that at his restaurant.

Tim

Life is wonderful! This evening I will carefully open a 2006 Argyle Pinot Noir and think about Saturday night. (At least it is pinot noir)

Tim